Is the equality \sqrt[n]{ab}= \sqrt[n]{a}\sqrt[n]{b} true for complex numbers?

• Thread starter gabel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Negative
In summary, the conversation discusses the false assumption that \sqrt[n]{ab}= \sqrt[n]{a}\sqrt[n]{b} for complex numbers and the flawed argument that -1 equals 1 in the context of rational exponentiation. It also touches on the concept of defining a branch for rational exponentiation of complex numbers and the difference between real and complex roots.
gabel
[tex]-1=\sqrt[3]{-1}=(-1)^{1/3} = (-1)^{2/6} = ((-1)^2)^{1/3}=1^{1/3} = 1[/tex]

How can this be?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It can't be. The error is in thinking that [tex]\sqrt[n]{ab}= \sqrt[n]{a}\sqrt[n]{b}[/tex] for complex numbers. It is only true if the roots are real numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the assumption that 2*1/3=2/6 might be causing some trouble here, too. ;-)

I hadn't even noticed that! Though I suspect that was a typo.

It is a rather minor flaw, since the fundamental flaw is retained in the following "flawless" argument:
[tex]-1=(-1)^{\frac{1}{3}}=(-1)^{\frac{2}{6}}=((-1)^{2})^{\frac{1}{6}}=1[/tex]

gabel and arildno, welcome to PF.

I guess the explanation lies in the fact that -1 is one of the complex 6th roots of 1.

Redbelly98 said:
Thank you for the warm welcome! :shy:

Redbelly98 said:
How come you waited nearly 7 years and over 10,000 posts to welcome arildno to PF? Oh wait! :eek: I haven't welcomed him either :redface: Welcome to PF arildno :smile: and gabel too :wink:

yuiop said:
How come you waited nearly 7 years and over 10,000 posts to welcome arildno to PF? Oh wait! :eek: I haven't welcomed him either :redface: Welcome to PF arildno :smile: and gabel too :wink:
Weclome to yuiop&gabel! :smile:

BTW, Redbelly is a newbie from 2008, so he hasn't been as tardy in welcoming me as you make it out to be..
In fact, you yourself has been even tardier than Redbelly..

yuiop said:
Be sure to visit the recent https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=465551"

Back on topic -- here is a version of this problem in "lowest terms", so to speak:

-1 = (-1)1 = (-1)2/2 = [(-1)2]1/2 = 11/2 = 1​

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
It can't be. The error is in thinking that [tex]\sqrt[n]{ab}= \sqrt[n]{a}\sqrt[n]{b}[/tex] for complex numbers. It is only true if the roots are real numbers.

It's not true for real numbers, not the negative ones. And for rational exponentiation of complex numbers we usually define a branch, in which case the equality is true. For real numbers, rational exponentiation, x^(1/n), is usually defined as a real root of t^n-x = 0 (if such a root exists) in the complex domain, and the positive one is chosen if there are two such roots. In this case the equality does not apply generally, as the example shows.

Related to Is the equality \sqrt[n]{ab}= \sqrt[n]{a}\sqrt[n]{b} true for complex numbers?

1. What does "negative one equals one" mean?

"Negative one equals one" is a mathematical statement that means -1 is equivalent to 1. This is because -1 and 1 are additive inverses, meaning they cancel each other out when added together.

2. Is "negative one equals one" a true statement?

Yes, "negative one equals one" is a true statement in the context of mathematics. However, in other contexts, such as language or philosophy, it may hold different meanings.

3. How does "negative one equals one" apply to real-life situations?

In real-life situations, "negative one equals one" can be applied in areas such as accounting, where positive and negative numbers are used to represent gains and losses. It can also be applied in physics, where negative and positive charges cancel each other out to create a neutral charge.

4. Why is "negative one equals one" important in mathematics?

"Negative one equals one" is important in mathematics because it introduces the concept of negative numbers and their relationship to positive numbers. This concept is essential in various mathematical operations, such as subtraction and solving equations.

5. Can "negative one equals one" be proven mathematically?

Yes, "negative one equals one" can be proven mathematically using the properties of additive inverses and the definition of equality. It can also be proven using algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning.