Is the direct sum of two circles a covering set for the circle?

In summary, the conversation discusses different examples of covering sets of the space S^1, with the canonical example being R with the exponential map e^(ix). The other example mentioned is the covering space C, which is a direct sum of two disjoint circles and has a covering map that disregards the information of which circle a point came from. Despite C being disconnected, it is still considered a covering set according to the definition. The conversation also mentions that every covering space of the circle, including disconnected ones, can be represented as a disjoint union of spaces and maps either homeomorphic to R or the circle with a covering map of nx, where n is a positive integer.
Tac-Tics
I know that the canonical example of a covering set of S^1 is R with the exponential map e^(ix) and that visually, this can be pictured by curling R up in a spiral and letting the "shadow" of the points determine the map.

However, I want to know if this is another example:

The covering space C is a direct sum (tagged union) of S^1 and S^1. So, each point in C is just a point on one of two disjoint circles. C is disconnected, obviously.

The covering map from C -> S^1, then, would just be the map which throws away the information about which circle the point came from. Graphically, it would be similar to the spiral idea, except instead of a spiral casting shadows, it's one circle above another.

As far as I can tell from the definition, this set C is a covering set, but since there are few examples in my book, I just wanted to confirm. I keep feeling like C being disconnected might be a problem, since all the examples I've seen in my book and elsewhere all have the covering space and the topological space in question with an equal number of disconnected parts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether connectedness is important probably depends on what convention you're using. (Wikipedia doesn't require connectedness, but suggests that some authors do)

For ease of notation, I'm going to identify the circle with [itex]\mathbb{R} \mod 2\pi[/itex]. (i.e. name points by angular position)

For the record, if I'm not mistaken, every covering space (assuming you allow disconnected spaces) of the circle is a disjoint union of spaces and maps of the following type:
* A space homeomorphic to R, with the covering map [itex]x \mapsto x[/itex].
* A space homeomorphic to the circle, with covering map [itex]x \mapsto nx[/itex] with n a positive integer.​
(I know this, because R is the "universal cover")

Thanks for the reply =-)

Related to Is the direct sum of two circles a covering set for the circle?

1. What is a covering set?

A covering set is a collection of sets that contains at least one element from each set in the collection. In other words, it is a set that covers all the elements of other sets in a given collection.

2. What is an example of a covering set?

One example of a covering set is a set of prime numbers that covers all the elements of the set of positive integers.

3. How is a covering set different from a spanning set?

A covering set differs from a spanning set in that a spanning set is used in linear algebra to represent a vector space, while a covering set is used in set theory to cover all the elements of a given collection of sets.

4. Why is a covering set important?

A covering set is important because it allows us to ensure that all elements in a given collection are represented by at least one set in the collection. This can be useful in various mathematical applications, such as proving the existence of a solution or finding a comprehensive representation of a system.

5. How can a covering set be constructed?

A covering set can be constructed by selecting sets from a given collection and combining them in a way that ensures all elements are covered. This can be done by using techniques such as the greedy algorithm or by using mathematical proofs to determine the minimum number of sets needed for a covering set.