Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Is the DFA of the language L correct?

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Hello!!! :eek:

I have to construct the DFA of the language $L=\{w \in \{a,b\}^*: \text{ each } "a" \text{ of the word w is appeared only after and before a } "b"\}$.

I tried the following...Could you tell if it's right?
But is it deterministic? From the second state where do we go with $a$ ?

Attachments

Last edited:

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Re: Is the DFA of the language $L$ correct?

I have to construct the DFA of the language $L=\{w \in \{a,b\}^*: \text{ each } "a" \text{ of the word w is appeared only after and before a } "b"\}$.
Immediately after and before a b, or can there be symbols between them?

I tried the following...Could you tell if it's right?
This automaton accepts ab where a is not preceeded by a b..

But is it deterministic? From the second state where do we go with $a$ ?
If consecutives a's are not allowed then there should an arrow to the "sink" state that is not accepting and from which there is no escape.

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013

Immediately after and before a b, or can there be symbols between them?

This automaton accepts ab where a is not preceeded by a b..
This is the pronunciation of the exercise.
What I understand is that $aa $ is not allowed but $bb$ or $bba$ or $abbb$ or $babb$ is allowed..
Am I wrong?

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012

This is the pronunciation of the exercise.
Am I wrong?
In general, we can only help with mathematical questions. I can't help clarify what a certain person meant when he/she devised a particular exercise, especially if there is a chance that there is a language barrier.

To me, the most natural way to interpret the exercise is that each a must be immediately preceded and immediately followed by a b.

What I understand is that $aa $ is not allowed but $bb$ or $bba$ or $abbb$ or $babb$ is allowed.
The strings $bba$ or $abbb$ should not be allowed because a is not surrounded by b's.

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013

In general, we can only help with mathematical questions. I can't help clarify what a certain person meant when he/she devised a particular exercise, especially if there is a chance that there is a language barrier.

To me, the most natural way to interpret the exercise is that each a must be immediately preceded and immediately followed by a b.

The strings $bba$ or $abbb$ should not be allowed because a is not surrounded by b's.
Ok...I tried it again... Is it now correct?

Attachments

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012

I believe that the empty word should be acceptable because every $a$ (there is none) is surrounded by $b$'s. Also, there is still no arrow to the sink state when $a$ is read in the third state. Finally, why not make $b$ go from the third state back to the second one? Why do you need another accepting state?

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
I believe that the empty word should be acceptable because every $a$ (there is none) is surrounded by $b$'s. Also, there is still no arrow to the sink state when $a$ is read in the third state. Finally, why not make $b$ go from the third state back to the second one? Why do you need another accepting state?
Do you mean something like that?

Attachments

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Yes. And the arrows for $a$ and $b$ from the bottom state to itself.

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013