Is the Delayed Choice Experiment Justified?

In summary, we have a conversation discussing the unusual behavior of electrons in a double-slit experiment when detectors are placed between the barrier and final screen. The possibility that the electron knows it was being watched and adjusts its behavior in the past is questioned, as electrons do not travel at the speed of light and therefore do not experience time in the same way. The use of photons in this experiment would not have the same delay, but there is still a question about the concept of time for light.
lmerriam
Hello,

I'm uncomfortable with the usual description of this experiment and wonder if this is justified. In a nutshell, when (in the usual double-slit setup) detectors are placed between the barrier and the final screen -- such that an electron, say, has already passed the two-slits -- an interference pattern will still form as though the detection had been made earlier. It is then suggested that the electron knows it was watched and adjusts its behavior in the past to conform accordingly.

Here's my problem with this ...

Electrons travel at the speed of light where time either does not exist at all, or perhaps simply stops (I recall reading it is the former .. is this correct, btw??). Regardless ... although from our perspective the electron most certainly crossed the barrier before it reached the detector beyond, from the electron's point of view no time elapsed at all; hence, there was no delay to speak of.

Am I missing something?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
lmerriam said:
Hello,

I'm uncomfortable with the usual description of this experiment and wonder if this is justified. In a nutshell, when (in the usual double-slit setup) detectors are placed between the barrier and the final screen -- such that an electron, say, has already passed the two-slits -- an interference pattern will still form as though the detection had been made earlier. It is then suggested that the electron knows it was watched and adjusts its behavior in the past to conform accordingly.

Here's my problem with this ...

Electrons travel at the speed of light where time either does not exist at all, or perhaps simply stops (I recall reading it is the former .. is this correct, btw??). Regardless ... although from our perspective the electron most certainly crossed the barrier before it reached the detector beyond, from the electron's point of view no time elapsed at all; hence, there was no delay to speak of.

Am I missing something?

thanks!
---

Yes. Electrons do not travel at the speed of light. They may be at any velocity from standstill to almost light-speed, but they will never actually be at the speed of light. Hence, time may be shortened for them but it never actually stops per se.

Ouch! And thanks for correcting me. I should have said photons which, unlike electrons, are mass-less. In this case, there would be no delay at all, and the original argument survives ... no?

SewerRat said:
---

Yes. Electrons do not travel at the speed of light. They may be at any velocity from standstill to almost light-speed, but they will never actually be at the speed of light. Hence, time may be shortened for them but it never actually stops per se.

There is a FAQ here, but I don't know where (sorry!) about how "light" might 'experience' time. I think it would be helpful... maybe an adviser or mentor can link?

Related to Is the Delayed Choice Experiment Justified?

What is "The Delayed Choice Experiment"?

The Delayed Choice Experiment is a thought experiment in quantum physics that explores the nature of reality and the role of observation in determining the behavior of particles.

How does "The Delayed Choice Experiment" work?

In the experiment, a particle is fired towards a detector with two possible paths. However, the choice of which path the particle takes is only made after the particle has already passed the point of no return. This allows researchers to observe the behavior of the particle both as a wave and as a particle, depending on the choices made after the particle has already passed through the detector.

What are the implications of "The Delayed Choice Experiment"?

The results of the Delayed Choice Experiment suggest that the behavior of particles is not predetermined, but is influenced by the act of observation. This challenges traditional ideas about causality and suggests that the observer plays a crucial role in determining the nature of reality.

Has "The Delayed Choice Experiment" been conducted in real life?

While the Delayed Choice Experiment is a thought experiment, it has been replicated in various experiments using photons, electrons, and other particles. These experiments have consistently shown that the behavior of particles is influenced by the choices made by the observer after the particle has already passed through the detector.

What are the practical applications of "The Delayed Choice Experiment"?

The Delayed Choice Experiment has profound implications for our understanding of the universe and may lead to new technologies in the future. It also has practical applications in quantum computing and cryptography, as well as potential implications for our understanding of free will and consciousness.