Is the degeneracy of N2+ different from N2?

• I
  • Thread starter BlackPowder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degeneracy
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of degeneracy for diatomic molecules and the difficulty in finding the degeneracy for N2(C3∏u) and N2+(B2Σg+) ions. There is a mention of the electron temperature being calculated using optical emission spectrum intensity ratio and the equation including degeneracy values. The electron spin, vibrational, and rotational statistical weights are mentioned, with a reference to literature for further information. The challenge of finding the rotational J value without rotational Raman spectrum is also mentioned.
BlackPowder
The calculation of degeneracy of diatomic molecules can be easily found. However, there is no detail introduction of ions. Not sure if the electronic, vibrational, rotational, and nuclear spin statistical weights are differ from N2+ to N2. Please help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you clarify what you mean by degeneracy (degeneracy of what)?

DrClaude said:
Can you clarify what you mean by degeneracy (degeneracy of what)?
I am trying to calculate the electron temperature using optical emission spectrum intensity ratio. The equation includes degeneracy values of N2(C3πu) and N2+(B2Σg+). I have found the way to get the degeneracy of N2(C), but not sure if I can do the same thing to the excited ion N2+(B).

Well, one is a doublet and the other a triplet, so that will have to be taken into account. Also, concerning rotation, you have to consider that one is u and the other g, so that will change which rotational states are allowed, but at first glance I don't see why this should affect the degeneracy.

DrClaude said:
Well, one is a doublet and the other a triplet, so that will have to be taken into account. Also, concerning rotation, you have to consider that one is u and the other g, so that will change which rotational states are allowed, but at first glance I don't see why this should affect the degeneracy.
Thanks for the reply.

My trouble is to find the degeneracy of N2(C3u) and the degeneracy of N2+(B2Σg+). So far, according to the literature [1], the degeneracy is a product of electron spin statistical weight, vibrational statistical weight, and rotational statistical weight. According to [2], the one of electron spin equals to 2S+1 for Σ states and 2(2S+1) for other states. Thus for N2(C), the value is 6, and for N2+(B), it is 2. Literature [2] also suggests the vibrational degeneracy is unity. However, for the rotational one, grot=(2J+1)gsgi, where gs and gi are "state dependent" and "state independent" weights determined by nuclear spin. My spectrum comes from electron impact excitation in a plasma, rather than light scattering on a target. Therefore, I have no idea how to get J value without rotational Raman spectrum. Also, for N2+(B) which is a Bose system at s level, its gs = 6, but I have no idea how to find gs for N2(C) since it is same for symmetric and antisymmetric rotational level.

[1] M. Simeckova et al, Einstein A-coefficients and statistical weights for molecular absorption transitions in the HITRAN database, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Ra., 98(2006) 130-155.
[2] J. B. Tatum, The interpretation of intensities in diatomic molecular spectra, Astrophys. J. Suppl., 14(1967) p.21.

Related to Is the degeneracy of N2+ different from N2?

1. What is degeneracy in chemistry?

Degeneracy in chemistry refers to the phenomenon of having multiple quantum states with the same energy level. This can occur in molecules, atoms, and other systems where electrons or other particles have discrete energy levels.

2. Is the degeneracy of N2+ different from N2?

Yes, the degeneracy of N2+ is different from N2. N2+ has a higher degeneracy, meaning it has more quantum states with the same energy level compared to N2. This is due to the addition of an extra electron, which increases the number of possible quantum states.

3. How does degeneracy affect the properties of a molecule?

Degeneracy can affect the properties of a molecule in several ways. For example, it can affect the electronic structure and reactivity of the molecule. Higher degeneracy can also lead to more complex spectra and can influence the stability of the molecule.

4. What factors can influence the degeneracy of a molecule?

The degeneracy of a molecule can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the number of electrons, molecular geometry, and the presence of external fields. Additionally, the electronic configuration and bonding in a molecule can also affect its degeneracy.

5. Can degeneracy be observed experimentally?

Yes, degeneracy can be observed experimentally through various techniques such as spectroscopy and energy level calculations. The degeneracy of a molecule can be inferred from the number of energy levels present in its spectra and the relative intensities of the spectral lines.