Is CBGBs Really the Most Famous Music Club in the World?

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary, a friend suggested that the drummer from a school friend try to get together with the only other drummer in the area to form a band, and found out that the drummer is already in a band and is very busy with school. He mentioned CBGBs as being a famous punk club, but his friend had never even heard of it.
wasteofo2
I live in a small suburb of New York City, it's about a 50 minute drive to the area of where CBGBs is.

Anyway a friend and I are trying to get a bad together. There are only 2 drummers in our school that we know of, both of whom are already in other bands and whom we frankly don't get along with, so we were trying to think of other people we know who play drums. So anyway, I had met a kid when I was taking lifeguarding training who lives 30 minutes from me that plays the drums, so I brought him up as a candidate.

I then remembered several things, firstly the drummer I was thinking of is in all honors/AP courses so his schedual is going to be very hectic around this time of the year, and secondly, that he's already in a band. I told my friend this, saying that he was already in a band and it was doubtful that he'd be able to work with us that often, seeing as they were already playing shows, and had even booked a few gigs at CBGBs.

At that, I got a totally blank look. My friend doesn't listen to punk and never has besides "Nevermind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols", so it's not like he has any wealth of punk knowledge, but I thought that CBGBs was one of the most famous venues in the world. I said "You know, CBGBs, it's the most famous punk club in the world", but he had really never even heard of it before.

Is CBGBs really not that well known by people who have no liking for punk, or did my friend just happen to miss every reference to CBGBs ever? I've asked pretty much this same question on music forums, and unanimously it was known. I figured that if international physicists knew it, then my theory would pretty much be proven beyond a doubt. I'm not a punk and I listen to less than 3 punk bands regularly, but I thought that CBGBs was the most famous music club in the world, can anyone think of any venue that only does music which is more well known than CBGBs?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have never heard of CBGBs. How bout the Royal Albert Hall?

When I was a young man, we listened to punk in clubs where people bashed each other over the head with broken beer bottles and punkers wore Doc Martens with razor blades inserted in the toes, and we liked it! CBGBs used to be a very dangerous place. I was actually thrown out one time.

I was in the East Village a week ago and went to a karaoke bar with some friends. I passed by CBGB's and there were so many punks,goths, rockers, etc.. and saw the largest Mohawk ever. I have spiky hair so I kinda fit in :) I believe CBGB's is the first place the Ramones performed at.

That part of the city is a really cool place to hang out, with bars here and there, and people seem much more friendly, open and outgoing.

Last edited:
when i was a young boy, i played the silver balls, from london down to brighton i must have played them all...

1. What is CBGBs and why is it famous?

CBGBs was a famous music venue located in New York City's East Village. It gained recognition in the 1970s and 1980s for showcasing emerging punk and new wave bands, as well as hosting influential artists like The Ramones, Blondie, and Patti Smith.

2. When did CBGBs first open and when did it close?

CBGBs first opened in 1973 and operated for 33 years until its closure in 2006. It was originally intended as a venue for country, bluegrass, and blues music, but eventually became known for its punk and new wave scene.

3. Is CBGBs still open?

No, CBGBs is no longer open. The venue closed in 2006 after a legal dispute with the landlord over rent. However, there have been attempts to revive CBGBs in different locations, including a CBGBs branded bar in Las Vegas and a festival in New York City.

4. What impact did CBGBs have on the music industry?

CBGBs is considered a major catalyst for the punk and new wave movements in the United States. It provided a platform for bands to perform and gain exposure, and its gritty and DIY atmosphere helped shape the sound and aesthetic of these genres. Many famous artists credit CBGBs for influencing their music and career.

5. Can you visit CBGBs today?

The original CBGBs location at 315 Bowery in New York City is now occupied by a John Varvatos store. However, there is a plaque commemorating the venue's history and legacy on the building's exterior. Additionally, there is a CBGBs exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio, which includes artifacts and memorabilia from the venue.