Is the Current in the Middle of a Balanced Wheatstone Bridge Always Zero?

In summary, a Balanced Wheatstone Bridge is an electrical circuit used to measure unknown resistances by comparing them to known resistances. It works by utilizing the concept of null deflection and is important for its precision in measuring resistance values. It has the advantages of accuracy, simplicity, and affordability, and is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering for various applications.
mafra

Homework Statement

10icak0.jpg

Show that the current in the middle is zero if all the resistors are equal

The Attempt at a Solution

KVL for left and right:
V - R*i1 - R*i2 = 0
V - R*i3 - R*i4 = 0

i1 + i2 = i3 + i4

KCL:
i1 + i3 = i2 + i4
i1 + iG = i2
i3 = iG + i4

I must prove that i1 = i2 or i3 = i4 but all I get is i1 = i4 and i2 = i3 combining KVL and KCL

Physics news on Phys.org
For the current in the middle to be zero, points A and B are at the same potential.

Related to Is the Current in the Middle of a Balanced Wheatstone Bridge Always Zero?

What is a Balanced Wheatstone Bridge?

A Balanced Wheatstone Bridge is a type of electrical circuit that is used to measure an unknown resistance by comparing it to a known resistance. It consists of four resistors arranged in a diamond shape with a power source and a galvanometer connected at opposite ends.

How does a Balanced Wheatstone Bridge work?

A Balanced Wheatstone Bridge works by using the principle of null deflection, where the voltage at the center of the bridge is equal to zero when the bridge is balanced. This means that the ratio of the unknown resistance to the known resistance is equal to the ratio of the other two resistors in the bridge.

What is the importance of a Balanced Wheatstone Bridge?

A Balanced Wheatstone Bridge is important because it allows for precise measurement of unknown resistances. It is commonly used in scientific experiments and industrial applications to accurately measure resistance values.

What are the advantages of using a Balanced Wheatstone Bridge?

The main advantage of using a Balanced Wheatstone Bridge is its accuracy. It can measure resistance values with high precision, making it a valuable tool for scientific research and engineering applications. It is also a simple and relatively inexpensive circuit to construct and use.

What are some common applications of a Balanced Wheatstone Bridge?

A Balanced Wheatstone Bridge is commonly used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is often used to measure unknown resistances in electrical circuits, as well as to measure small changes in resistance for sensors and strain gauges. It is also used in bridge circuits for temperature and pressure measurements, and in medical devices for measuring bioimpedance.