Is the curl of a field a vector or a vector density?

In summary, the contravariant components of the curl in general coordinates are defined as \omega^k = \frac{\epsilon^{ijk}}{\sqrt{g}} \partial_i u _j, where \omega^k is the k-th component of the vorticity and u_i represents the velocity field. The permutation symbol, \epsilon^{ijk}, is a tensor density, but can be defined as \frac{\epsilon^{ijk}}{\sqrt{g}} to make it an honest tensor. The sqrt of the determinant of the metric tensor converts the vorticity into a vector, rather than a pseudovector, in a Riemannian geometry. There may be an error in the way the permutation symbol was defined in
joda80
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out how the components of the curl transform upon changing the coordinate system. In general coordinates, the contravariant components of the curl (if applied to the velocity field; then the curl is known as vorticity) are defined as
[tex]\omega^k = \frac{\epsilon^{ijk}}{\sqrt{g}} \partial_i u _j, [/tex]
where [itex]\omega^k[/itex] is the k-th component of the vorticity, and [itex]u_i[/itex] represents the velocity field.

The permutation symbol, [tex]\epsilon^{ijk} = \mathbf{g}^i \cdot \mathbf{g}^j \times \mathbf{g}^k,[/tex] is a tensor density. But if we define the permutation symbol as [itex]\frac{\epsilon^{ijk}}{\sqrt{g}}[/itex], it is an honest tensor. If we use this tensor in the definition of the curl, as done above, shouldn't the vorticity be a true vector as well (rather than a vector density)? I guess I'm not really sure how to show that, however. Simply applying the transformation matrix to the free index doesn't seem give the right answer, because I'd ignore the contracted indices (i.e., the epsilon tensor and the determinant of the metric tensor also need to be transformed, right?). Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. (I'm confused because I keep reading that the curl is a vector density.)

There is a related "philosphical" question: I used to think that only true vectors (or tensors/spinors in general) represent physically meaningful quantities. If an object doesn't transform like a tensor, doesn't that mean that it isn't independent of the coordinate bases?
The local rotation of a fluid is something that exists independently of our choice of a coordinate basis, so shouldn't the vorticity be a true vector? Or am I misinterpreting what a vector density really is. Perhaps the additional factor that apparently appears during the transformation is *required* to ensure that the components indeed represent the same object in every coordinate system?

Thanks for helping out!

Johannes

Physics news on Phys.org
I won't address the <philosophical> issue, just state that the sqrt of det of the metric tensor does just that: in a riemannian geometry converts the vorticity into a vector, rather than pseudovector. The <curl>'s general definition should be ammended with the 1/sqrt.

Thanks! I think there's an error in the way I defined the permutation symbol. It should be {+1, -1, 0}. If defined in terms of the basis vectors as done above, we actually wouldn't need the sqrt-factor in the definition of the curl. But my main confusion has been settled...

Related to Is the curl of a field a vector or a vector density?

1. What is the definition of curl in vector calculus?

The curl of a vector field is a vector quantity that represents the rotation or circular flow of the field at a given point. It is defined as the cross product of the gradient operator and the vector field.

2. Is the curl of a field a vector or a vector density?

The curl of a field is a vector, not a vector density. This means that the curl has both magnitude and direction at every point in the field.

3. How is the curl of a field different from the divergence of a field?

The curl and divergence of a field are two different operations in vector calculus. While the curl represents the rotation of the field, the divergence represents its expansion or contraction. Additionally, the curl is a vector while the divergence is a scalar.

4. Can the curl of a field be negative?

Yes, the curl of a field can be negative. This indicates that the rotation of the field is in the opposite direction of the vector representing the curl.

5. What are some real-world applications of the curl of a field?

The curl of a field has various applications in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate the flow of fluids, analyze electromagnetic fields, and study the motion of particles in a magnetic field. It is also utilized in computer graphics for creating realistic visual effects such as smoke and fire.