Is the Cosmological Constant the Same as Dark Energy?

In summary, the article discusses how the cosmological constant was reintroduced and how it is related to dark energy. It is now considered to be an experimentally measured value.
FluffyFriend
where unit conventions of general relativity are used (otherwise factors of G and c would also appear). It is common to quote values of energy density directly, though still using the name "cosmological constant".

What does this paragraph mean?

I read it somewhere that a relatively newer observation renewed the concept of "cosmological constant", and it was connected with "dark energy", again, can anyone provide detailed information on that?

Wasn't "cosmological constant" proved erroneous long ago?

Or is it something are now being called "cosmological constant", something other than "cosmological constant" itself? What is it, then?

Observations announced in 1998 of distance–redshift relation for Type Ia supernovae indicated that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. When combined with measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation these implied a value of \Omega_{\Lambda} \simeq 0.7,[5] a result which has been supported and refined by more recent measurements. There are other possible causes of an accelerating universe, such as quintessence, but the cosmological constant is in most respects the most economical solution. Thus, the current standard model of cosmology, the Lambda-CDM model, includes the cosmological constant, which is measured to be on the order of 10−35 s−2, or 10−47 GeV4, or 10−29 g/cm3,[6] or about 10−120 in reduced Planck units.

How should I understand the word "economical" here?

I know it may be quite difficult to answer my question since I got the experience when trying to explain something to an outsider about the concept withing my speciality, so I start by telling the inquisitor whatever pertinent. I'm not trying to "teach" you how to explain this issue in any fashion (if I did made you feel so, I apologize), rather, this is just a personal suggestion, because I do not even know this question I'm asking is hard to begin with or not.

I hope my question is not so valueless. Any help will be appreciated, a paragraph, a link etc. Also, sorry for my english.

Physics news on Phys.org
FluffyFriend said:
What does this paragraph mean?

I read it somewhere that a relatively newer observation renewed the concept of "cosmological constant", and it was connected with "dark energy", again, can anyone provide detailed information on that?

Wasn't "cosmological constant" proved erroneous long ago?

Or is it something are now being called "cosmological constant", something other than "cosmological constant" itself? What is it, then?

This seems a little out of context to me but I'll try to provide what insight I can. Einstein added the cosmological constant term into his field equations for one purpose: to produce a static universe. After the realization that the universe was expanding, he saw no need for the cosmological constant term, and it was discarded as an ad-hoc construction.

When Dark Energy was discovered in the late 1990s, it is very convenient to formulate this extra repulsive force in exactly the same manner Einstein formulated his cosmological constant (an extra term in the field equations). However, the value is no longer cherry-picked to create a static universe, but is an experimentally measured value (I know of no successful theoretical predictions of its value).

Does that make sense?

Nabeshin said:
This seems a little out of context to me but I'll try to provide what insight I can. Einstein added the cosmological constant term into his field equations for one purpose: to produce a static universe. After the realization that the universe was expanding, he saw no need for the cosmological constant term, and it was discarded as an ad-hoc construction.

When Dark Energy was discovered in the late 1990s, it is very convenient to formulate this extra repulsive force in exactly the same manner Einstein formulated his cosmological constant (an extra term in the field equations). However, the value is no longer cherry-picked to create a static universe, but is an experimentally measured value (I know of no successful theoretical predictions of its value).

Does that make sense?

Yes it does! Thanks Nabeshin!

At least I know what "economical" means here. "If it's useful, get it back from the trashcan".

Further discussion is encouraged!

Related to Is the Cosmological Constant the Same as Dark Energy?

1. What is the Cosmological Constant?

The Cosmological Constant, denoted by the Greek letter Lambda (Λ), is a term that was introduced by Albert Einstein in his theory of General Relativity. It represents the energy density of the vacuum and is a constant value that remains the same throughout the universe.

2. How does the Cosmological Constant affect the expansion of the universe?

The Cosmological Constant has a repulsive force that counteracts the gravitational pull of matter, causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. This means that the space between galaxies is continually increasing, and the rate of expansion is also increasing due to the presence of the Cosmological Constant.

3. What is the significance of the Cosmological Constant in understanding the structure of the universe?

The Cosmological Constant plays a crucial role in our understanding of the structure of the universe. It helps explain the observed acceleration of the universe's expansion and is essential in the current model of the universe, known as the Lambda Cold Dark Matter (ΛCDM) model. It also influences the evolution and formation of structures, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters.

4. Why is the Cosmological Constant sometimes referred to as the "dark energy" of the universe?

The Cosmological Constant is often referred to as "dark energy" because it is a mysterious force that cannot be directly observed or measured. It is believed to make up about 68% of the total energy content of the universe and is responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

5. How does the value of the Cosmological Constant affect the fate of the universe?

The value of the Cosmological Constant is crucial in determining the fate of the universe. If its value is positive, the universe will continue to expand indefinitely, eventually leading to a "Big Freeze." If the value is negative, the universe will eventually collapse in a "Big Crunch." If the value is zero, the universe will reach a state of equilibrium, known as the "Big Chill." The current observed value of the Cosmological Constant suggests that the universe will continue to expand indefinitely.