Is the coil the only viable shape for an electric engine ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of coils in electric engines and whether they are the most efficient way to induce current. The speaker wonders if other shapes, such as rings or cylinders, could be used instead and if there are any formulas for determining the optimal coil for a specific engine. The responder notes that there are various motor topologies and that coils are typically used because they provide a high flux with low current. They also mention other types of engines that use different shapes or rely on electric fields rather than magnetic fields.
zunf
Hi, I'm an hobbyist
right now I'm into electric engines, simple engines for low voltage and low current applications; I have noticed that there are many variations about how and what an electric engine can do even considering only DC motors, but basically all the engines that I have examined up until now have something in common, and that is the presence of a coil, a copper coil, used as a conductor in the internals of the engine itself .

I wonder if such twisted copper cables are the only way to induce current in a DC / AC engine, for example can you replace a coil with a ring of copper ? A cylinder ?

What is the physical explanation that motivates the use of a coil and what makes it efficient compared to other shapes / solutions ?

After all the pulse of current is given by the change in the magnetic flux, which basically refers to the rotating parts of your engine, up until now I haven't found any explanation as to why it's an optimal thing to use a coil rather than a cylinder, or a sphere, or any other piece of geometry in metal form .
There are formulas that dictate the ins and outs of an optimal coil given the specs of an electrical engine ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are lots of motor topologies. There are disk motors, linear motors, solid plate motors, etc.

The usual reason coils are used is that the flux increases with the square of the number of turns. This gives lots of flux for little current.

Linear motors are used in rail guns. Disk type motors are lightweight and cheap using traces on PCB boards as their conductors. The Faraday Disk was the first electric generator and used a solid plate.

A Van de Graaff generator doesn't even use metal in its moving parts. It relies on the electric field rather than the magnetic field.

Likes OCR

Related to Is the coil the only viable shape for an electric engine ?

1. What is a coil in an electric engine?

A coil in an electric engine is a circular or helical shaped wire that is wound around a core. The current flowing through the coil creates a magnetic field, which in turn generates motion.

2. Why is a coil considered the only viable shape for an electric engine?

A coil is considered the only viable shape for an electric engine because it allows for efficient conversion of electrical energy into mechanical energy. The shape of the coil also helps to create a strong and uniform magnetic field, resulting in smoother operation of the engine.

3. Can other shapes be used for an electric engine?

Yes, other shapes such as rectangular or triangular can be used for an electric engine. However, these shapes may not be as efficient as a coil in terms of energy conversion and may also result in a weaker and less uniform magnetic field.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a coil in an electric engine?

One potential disadvantage of using a coil in an electric engine is that it can be more expensive and time-consuming to manufacture compared to other shapes. Additionally, the shape of the coil may also limit the size and design of the engine.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a coil in an electric engine?

There are a few alternatives to using a coil in an electric engine, such as using permanent magnets or a combination of coils and magnets. However, these alternatives may not be as efficient or practical as using a coil, and may also have their own limitations and drawbacks.