Is the Charge Q Lorentz Invariant in Quantum Field Theory?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of Lorentz invariance in quantum field theory and how it relates to transformations of fields and integration variables. The main point was that if a conserved vector field satisfies a certain boundary condition, then the charge is independent of the hypersurface on which it is evaluated and is also invariant under Lorentz transformations. This is important in understanding the properties of local quantum field theory.
equalmcsquare
Hi all,

I'm studying quantum field theory and I'm watching video lectures on Harward University website (Professor Colemann's lectures). Now, in lesson number six at 1h-6 minute a student asks why after trasforming field by a Lorentz transformation he doesn't transform also integration variable (I do not catch very well student's voice...) and Professor Colemann explains that is we transform field AND observer we are not applying Lorentz transformation but a coordinates system change..could you clarify me this point?

Many thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. Despite Sidney Coleman's well-deserved reputation, the poor A-V quality of these lectures IMO is a real obstacle to learning physics from them. I'd get a book.

Yes I know.
Let's suppose I have an object, a four vector or something else, and we have defined a quantity as for example an integral in all space (spatial) of this object or a function of this objects..we want to investigate lorentz properties of this integral..I lorentz transform the function to be integrated but not the volume element or also the volume element?

Standard relativistic quantum field theory is by definition constructed as a local quantum field theory, i.e., a free elementary particle is described by a certain unitary representation of the proper orthochronous Poincare group (more precisely by its covering group, where the proper orthochronous Lorentz subgroup is substituted with its covering group, SL(2,C)).

This means that a field operator in the Heisenberg picture transforms under Poincare transformations with a unitary matrix, representing the Poincare group such as a corresponding classical field transforms under the same transformation. E.g., a scalar field operator (Klein-Gordon field operator) transforms under a proper orthochronous Lorentz transform [itex]x'=\Lambda x[/itex] as

[tex]\hat{\Phi}'(x')=\hat{U}(\Lambda) \hat{\Phi}(x') \hat{U}^{\dagger}(\Lambda)=\hat{\Phi}(\Lambda^{-1} x').[/tex]

A vector field, transforms like

[tex]{\hat{A}'}^{\mu}(x')=\hat{U}(\Lambda) \hat{A}^{\mu}(x') \hat{U}^{\dagger}(\Lambda)={\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu} \hat{A}_{\nu}(\Lambda^{-1} x').[/tex]

There's also the active vs. passive viewpoint when it comes to spacetime symmetries. The best source on this that I know of are the book by Fonda & Ghirardi ('Symmetry principles in quantum physics', M. Dekker, 1970) and of course the 2nd chapter of 1st volume by Weinberg.

BTW, Hendrik has some excellent notes on formal QFT at http://theorie.physik.uni-giessen.de/~hees/

equalmcsquare said:
Yes I know.
Let's suppose I have an object, a four vector or something else, and we have defined a quantity as for example an integral in all space (spatial) of this object or a function of this objects..we want to investigate lorentz properties of this integral..I lorentz transform the function to be integrated but not the volume element or also the volume element?

This is one of the most "FAQ". I have already answered similar equations on these forums in the past. Give me some time and I will post a good answer for you. It might be a bit different from Sidney's method, but I will make sure to "change integration variable" so that it won't be that defferent from Sidney's.

Sam

Let us define the functional

[tex]Q[\Sigma]=\int_{\Sigma}d\sigma_{a}(x) V^{a}(x).[/tex]

where [itex]\Sigma[/itex] denotes an arbitrary space-like hypersurface in space-time [itex](M^{4},\eta^{ab})[/itex], and

[tex]d\sigma_{a}(x) = \frac{1}{3!}\epsilon_{abcd} dx^{b}dx^{c}dx^{d},[/tex]

is a 4-vector differential at x. The functional derivative at some point [itex]x[/itex] is defined by

[tex]\frac{\delta Q[\Sigma]}{\delta \sigma (x)} = \lim_{\omega (x)\rightarrow0}\frac{Q[\bar{\Sigma}]-Q[\Sigma]}{\omega (x)},[/tex]

where [itex]\omega (x)[/itex] is the volume enclosed between [itex]\bar{\Sigma}[/itex] and [itex]\Sigma[/itex]. Therefore, according to Gauss' theorem, we have

[tex]\frac{\delta Q[\Sigma]}{\delta\sigma (x)}= \partial_{a}V^{a}.[/tex]

Now, if [itex]V^{a}(x)[/itex] is a conserved vector field, then [itex]\delta Q / \delta\sigma = 0[/itex] and therefore [itex]Q[\Sigma][/itex] is independent of [itex]\sigma (x)[/itex]. This means that we are free to pick a particular hypersurface to evaluate [itex]Q[/itex]. So, we choose the hyperplane [itex]\Sigma : x^{0}= t =\mbox{const.}[/itex] to evaluate [itex]Q[/itex];

[tex]Q(t) = \int_{t = \mbox{const.}} d^{3}x\, V^{0}(t,\mathbf{x}).[/tex]

Clearly, this integral is time-independent iff the conserved vector field satisfies the boundary condition

[tex]|\mathbf{x}|^{2}V^{i}(x) \rightarrow 0 \ \ \mbox{as} \ |\mathbf{x}| \rightarrow \infty . \ \ (1)[/tex]

Indeed; [itex] dQ/dt = \int d^{3}x\ \partial_{0}V^{0} = -\int d^{3}x \ \partial_{i}V^{i}(x) = 0[/itex].

So let us summarize what we have done by the following: If [itex]V^{a}(x)[/itex] is a conserved vector field (i.e., [itex]\partial_{a}V^{a}=0[/itex]) satisfying the boundary condition in eq(1), then [itex]Q[/itex] is independent of the hypersurface on which it is evaluated, i.e., time independent;
[tex]
Q = \int_{\Sigma}d\sigma_{a}(y) \ V^{a}(y) = \int_{t = \mbox{const.}}d\sigma_{a}(y) \ V^{a}(y), \ \ (2)
[/tex]

This result will be used below to prove that the charge [itex]Q[/itex] is a Lorentz invariant quantity.
The Lorentz transform of [itex]Q[/itex] is obtained by conjugating it with [itex]U(\Lambda) \in SO(1,3)[/itex];

[tex]
\bar{Q} = U^{-1}QU = \int_{t = \mbox{const.}} d\sigma_{a}(x) U^{-1}(\Lambda)V^{a}(x)U(\Lambda).
[/tex]
Since (vector representation of SO(1,3))
[tex]
U^{-1}(\Lambda)V^{a}(x)U(\Lambda) = \Lambda^{a}{}_{c}V^{c}(\Lambda^{-1}x).
[/tex]
Thus
[tex]
\bar{Q} = \int_{t = \mbox{const.}}d\sigma_{a}(x) \ \Lambda^{a}{}_{c}V^{c}(\Lambda^{-1}x). \ \ (3)
[/tex]
Now, we change integration variables according to
[tex]x = \Lambda y \ \ (4)[/tex]
To find the Jacobian, we note that
[tex]
d\sigma_{a}(x) = \frac{1}{3!} \epsilon_{abcd} \Lambda^{b}{}_{p} \Lambda^{c}{}_{q} \Lambda^{d}{}_{r}dy^{p}dy^{q}dy^{r}.
[/tex]
Now, we use the identity
[tex]
\epsilon_{abcd}\Lambda^{b}{}_{p}\Lambda^{c}{}_{q} \Lambda^{d}{}_{r} = (\Lambda^{-1})^{s}{}_{a}\epsilon_{spqr}\det \Lambda
[/tex]
Since [itex]\det \Lambda = 1[/itex], we find
[tex]
d\sigma_{a}(x) = \frac{1}{3!}(\Lambda^{-1})^{s}{}_{a} \epsilon_{spqr} \ dy^{p}dy^{q}dy^{r} = (\Lambda^{-1})^{s}{}_{a}d\sigma_{s}(y). \ \ (5)
[/tex]

Inserting eq(4) and eq(5) in eq(3) (with the new integration domain [itex]\Sigma[/itex]) we find

[tex]
\bar{Q} = \int_{\Sigma}d\sigma_{s}(y) (\Lambda^{-1})^{s}{}_{a} \Lambda^{a}{}_{c}V^{c}(y) = \int_{\Sigma}d\sigma_{a}(y)V^{a}(y).
[/tex]

Thus, using eq(2), we arrive at
[tex]\bar{Q} = \int_{t = \mbox{const.}} d\sigma_{a}(y)V^{a}(y) = Q[/tex]
This proves that [itex]Q[/itex] is invariant under SO(1,3). qed

Sam

Last edited:

Related to Is the Charge Q Lorentz Invariant in Quantum Field Theory?

1. What is Lorentz invariance?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle of special relativity that states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames. This means that the measurements of space and time, as well as the behavior of physical objects, will be consistent for all observers in different reference frames that are moving at constant velocities.

2. How does Lorentz invariance apply to fields?

In the context of physics, a field is a region in space where a physical quantity, such as temperature or electromagnetic force, is defined at every point. Lorentz invariance of a field means that the properties of the field, such as its strength and direction, will remain the same for all observers in different reference frames. This is important in understanding how the laws of physics behave in different environments or conditions.

3. Why is Lorentz invariance important in physics?

Lorentz invariance is a crucial concept in physics because it allows for the development of a consistent and unified theory of space and time. It also provides a framework for understanding how physical quantities and phenomena behave in different reference frames, which is essential in many areas of modern physics, including relativity, quantum mechanics, and particle physics.

4. How is Lorentz invariance tested or observed?

Lorentz invariance can be tested or observed in various ways, depending on the specific field of study. In general, it involves conducting experiments or making observations that compare the behavior of physical quantities in different reference frames. For example, in particle physics, scientists use high-energy particle accelerators to study the behavior of subatomic particles in different reference frames and confirm the predictions of Lorentz invariance.

5. Are there any exceptions to Lorentz invariance?

While Lorentz invariance has been confirmed in numerous experiments and observations, some physicists theorize that it may not hold true under extreme conditions, such as near a black hole or during the early stages of the universe. This is an area of ongoing research and debate, and further experiments and observations are needed to fully understand the extent of Lorentz invariance in all physical phenomena.