Is the Calculation of Strain Due to Own Weight Correct?

In summary, there is a discussion about the calculation of elongation due to its own weight, with one person suspecting that there may be an error. The correct equation is discussed and a mistake in the conversion to meters is identified. There is also a question about the units used in the calculation.
chetzread

Homework Statement

for the elongation due to its own weight , i suspect the calculation of elonation due to its own weight is wrong ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it should be (3456.3825)(75) / (300x10^-6)(200x10^3) = 4320m = 4320x10^3 mm , right ? [/B]

Attachments

• IMG_20160917_131127.jpg
    IMG_20160917_131127.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
Four kilometers?!

Bystander said:
Four kilometers?!
anything wrong with my calculation ?

Given that the original length is only 150 meters? What's your conclusion?

Likes chetzread
Bystander said:
Given that the original length is only 150 meters? What's your conclusion?
sorry , here's the second image

Attachments

• IMG_20160917_131256.jpg
    IMG_20160917_131256.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 385
You've made mistake(s) in the conversion to meters (handwritten work, 2nd image). Try it again.

Bystander said:
You've made mistake(s) in the conversion to meters (handwritten work, 2nd image). Try it again.
I'm looking at the units of E in his calculation, and it doesn't seem correct to me.

Likes chetzread

Related to Is the Calculation of Strain Due to Own Weight Correct?

1. What is strain and why is it important in scientific research?

Strain is a measure of how much a material deforms or changes shape under stress. It is important in scientific research because it helps us understand the behavior of materials under different conditions and can be used to predict their performance in various applications.

2. How is strain calculated?

Strain is calculated by taking the change in length of a material divided by its original length. This can be expressed as a decimal or a percentage. It can also be calculated by measuring the change in angle or volume of a material under stress.

3. What are the different types of strain?

The three main types of strain are tensile, compressive, and shear strain. Tensile strain occurs when a material is stretched, compressive strain occurs when a material is compressed, and shear strain occurs when a material is twisted or sheared.

4. How is strain related to stress?

Strain and stress are directly related, as strain is a measure of the deformation caused by stress. Stress is the force applied to a material, while strain is the resulting change in shape or size. The relationship between stress and strain is known as Hooke's Law.

5. How is strain used in material testing?

Strain is a key factor in material testing, as it can help determine the strength and durability of a material. By subjecting a material to controlled amounts of stress and measuring the resulting strain, scientists can determine its mechanical properties and make predictions about its performance in real-world applications.