Is the Calculated Current of 1.3 Amps Correct in a Parallel Circuit Problem?

In summary, the problem involves finding the current leaving the cell in a circuit with three resistors, two of which are in parallel and the third in series. The power output of the cell must be equal to the power dissipated by the resistors, and the power supplied by the cell is related to its voltage and current. The resistance values are not necessary to find the solution.
zaddyzad

Homework Statement

physics questions.jpg

Homework Equations

What is the current leaving the cell.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since all the resistors have the same drop in watts, I assumed both "sections" will lose drop 6V. So each side of the the parallel section drops 6V and the single resistor also drops 6V.

Then I tried to find the resistance in ohms of each one. P=V^2/R... 60^2/60=60.
So I assumed every resistor is 60ohms. I then went to find the total resistance of the system (60^-1+60^-1)^-1+60. Rt=90.. Then I used V=IR 120/90 to find current. I end up getting 1.3Amps is this correct ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi zaddzad! :smile:

[strike]Your answer is correct[/strike]. Though, it would be much easier to answer this question using the concept of equivalent resistances(instead of P). You can easily find the equivalent resistance due to the parallel connection, and then due to the series, for total resistance in the circuit.

Edit : I just realized the given terms is watts not ohms...

Last edited:
Hm, don't think I'v ever heard of this concept. I have a circuits test tomorrow, would you mind showing me how it's done ?

Basically, when you have a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance R is given as,

[tex]\frac{1}{R} = \frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2} + ... + \frac{1}{R_n}[/tex]

And for a series circuit, the equivalent resistance is,

[tex]R = R_1 + R_2 + ... + R_n[/tex]

Take a look here for a deeper understanding : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_and_parallel_circuits

zaddyzad said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 48447

Homework Equations

Since all the resistors have the same drop in watts, I assumed both "sections" will lose drop 6V. So each side of the the parallel section drops 6V and the single resistor also drops 6V.

So I assumed every resistor is 60ohms. I then went to find the total resistance of the system (60^-1+60^-1)^-1+60. Rt=90.. Then I used V=IR 120/90 to find current. I end up getting 1.3Amps is this correct ?

I don't get 1.3 amps.

OmCheeto said:
I don't get 1.3 amps.

Practicing delta-star circuits currently, makes me think everything is given in ohms!

Thats what I did with the P=V^2/R I found the resistance of each resistor. Then when I found the resistance was 60, I did the total resistance of the circuit. For the parallel part I did (60^-1=60^-1)^-1 = 30 resistance there, and for the series I just added 60. The total resistance of the circut is 90 no ?

I assumed each section of the circuit dropped 60 of the 120 volts because they are = in power drops. So wouldn't the top series resistor drop 60 volts, and the parallel resistors as a whole drop 60 volts?

Then I used P=V^2/R to find their ohm values ?

How is the correct answer found, and what is it?

Thats what I did with the P=V^2/R I found the resistance of each resistor. Then when I found the resistance was 60, I did the total resistance of the circuit. For the parallel part I did (60^-1=60^-1)^-1 = 30 resistance there, and for the series I just added 60. The total resistance of the circut is 90 no ?

The resistance is not 60 ohms for the resistors.

What is it then?

It's no help having someone tell you your answer is wrong, some guidance would be kindly accepted.

Still needing help...

help please!

zaddyzad said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 48447

Homework Equations

Please give the complete statement of the problem as it was given to you.

Let the resistors have resistances R1, R2, and R3. As you had written, the current and voltage drop across a resistor is:
[tex]
I = \sqrt{\frac{P}{R}}, \ V = \sqrt{P \, R}
[/tex]

Resistors 2 and 3 are connected in parallel, therefore the voltage drop across them is the same.
[tex]
V_2 = \sqrt{P \, R_2} = V_3 = \sqrt{P \, R_3} \Rightarrow R_2 = R_3
[/tex]
This means that the current passing through each of them is the same.

According to 1st Kirchhoff rule, the current through resistor 1, is twice as big. But, the power delivered is the same. Therefore:
[tex]
I_1 = 2 I_2, \ P = I^{2}_{1} \, R_1 = I^{2}_{2} \, R_2 \Rightarrow 4 R_1 = R_2
[/tex]

We have found the relative resistances of the three resistors.

What is the equivalent resistance of the three resistors in terms of R1?

What is the current flowing through resistor 1, in terms of V = 120 V, and R1?

What is the power delivered on resistor 1, in terms of V, and R1? You know that this power is 60 W. Find R1 from here.

Go one step backwards and find the current through resistor 1. This is the same current flowing out of the source.

Here's a hint.

The solution is so easy, I can do it in my head!

Infinitum said:
Practicing delta-star circuits currently, makes me think everything is given in ohms!

I think this is why SammyS just requested verification of the problem.

The graphic doesn't strike me as a typical homework problem.

The job of the cell is to supply the power.
The total output of the cell must be equal to total output of the load.

For house electric consumption, you're charged by the amount of load total wattage irrespective how you connect your appliances, series or parallel.

Last edited:
Azizlwl has right, concentrate to the power data. The power supplied by the source equals to the sum of power dissipated on the resistors.
And you know how the power supplied by the battery is related to the voltage and the current of the battery.

You do not need the resistance values.

ehild

azizlwl said:
The job of the cell is to supply the power.
The total output of the cell must be equal to total output of the load.

For house electric consumption, you're charged by the amount of load total wattage irrespective how you connect your appliances, series or parallel.

I can confirm that if you followed the method I had suggested, you would get the same answer.

zaddyzad said:

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=48447&d=1339986525.jpg

Homework Equations

In my opinion, this problem is in need of a precise statement.

While it makes sense to assume that the problem is giving the power being dissipated by each resistor, it's also reasonable to assume that the problem is giving the power rating of some ohmic devices, where the power rating is for some standard voltage, such as 120 V.

Assuming that we are given the power actually dissipated by the resistors in this circuit, I get that the current through the power source is 0.15 A . Looking at that answer, I see a quicker way to get it than what I went through. Asking, "What is the total power delivered by the 120V source?", gets the answer immediately. Of course, that's probably the method that OmCheeto used when working the problem in his head.

I see that OP has not been in this discussion for a while. This seems to happen fairly frequently.

Last edited:

Related to Is the Calculated Current of 1.3 Amps Correct in a Parallel Circuit Problem?

What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or pathway through which electricity can flow. It is made up of various components such as wires, resistors, capacitors, and switches.

What is the unit of measurement for watts?

The unit of measurement for watts is the same as the unit of measurement for power, which is joules per second (J/s). This means that one watt is equal to one joule of energy being transferred per second.

How do you calculate watts in a circuit?

To calculate watts in a circuit, you need to know the voltage and current. The formula for calculating watts is W = V x I, where W is watts, V is voltage, and I is current.

What is the difference between AC and DC circuits in terms of watts?

The main difference between AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits in terms of watts is that AC circuits have variable voltage and current, while DC circuits have constant voltage and current. This means that the calculation of watts in an AC circuit is more complex, as it takes into account the changing values of voltage and current over time.

What is the relationship between watts and resistance in a circuit?

The relationship between watts and resistance in a circuit is determined by Ohm's law, which states that the voltage (V) in a circuit is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). This means that as resistance increases, the watts in a circuit will decrease, and vice versa.