Is the Breguet Range Equation Enough to Determine Aircraft Range?

In summary, the range equation used by aircraft manufacturers is a simplified version of the Breguet range equation, which has many assumptions and is not entirely realistic. The manufacturer's quoted range is likely a result of calculations from various test cases, with a safety factor added and potentially influenced by marketing decisions. It may not accurately reflect the range under all conditions.
earthgoodboy
hi all,

Im currently a aerospace engineering and I have some questions that I have been wondered about the range equation.

I just studied about the breguet range equation (R=v/sfc L/D ln(wi/wf)). The equation is pretty simple within many assumptions such as constant speed constant L/D... How can the manufacturer such as Boeing or Airbus come up with the quoted range in the aircraft's specification? Since the breguet's equation is quite ideal and far from realistic, should there be a better way to determine the range?

is there a more precised formula has been developed? or the value just comes from the flight test alone?

I also think that there are many conditions of payload/fuel load, but how come the manufacturer come up with only 1 range in the specification? what condition do they usually use?

I know there are many questions and takes long to answer, if anyone could suggest me articles or books would be already much appreciated.

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why should they limit themselves to a single equation?

It is easy to visualize a simulation of an airplane that takes in many factors, and that could calculate range for a particular route.

But remember that the advertized range must ignore route, weather and many other factors. I would say it is more of a marketing thing. Probably the engineers calculate a few dozen test cases, then the lawyers take the average and multiply by 0.7 as a safety factor, then the marketing people argue to multiply by 1.1.

Related to Is the Breguet Range Equation Enough to Determine Aircraft Range?

What is the Aircraft Range Equation?

The Aircraft Range Equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the maximum distance an aircraft can travel without refueling. It takes into account various factors such as the aircraft's weight, fuel capacity, and aerodynamic efficiency.

How is the Aircraft Range Equation used in aviation?

The Aircraft Range Equation is used by pilots and engineers to determine the maximum range of an aircraft, which is crucial for flight planning and route selection. It is also used in the design and development of new aircraft to ensure they meet the desired range specifications.

What are the limitations of the Aircraft Range Equation?

The Aircraft Range Equation is based on theoretical calculations and does not take into account external factors such as weather conditions, air traffic, and altitude. It also assumes a constant speed and altitude, which may not always be the case in real-life flight situations.

How does the Aircraft Range Equation differ for different types of aircraft?

The Aircraft Range Equation is a general formula that can be applied to all types of aircraft. However, the specific variables and coefficients used in the equation may vary depending on the type of aircraft, such as commercial airliners, military jets, or small private planes.

Are there any alternative methods for calculating aircraft range?

While the Aircraft Range Equation is the most commonly used method, there are other approaches, such as computer simulations and flight tests, that can provide more accurate results. These methods take into account real-life factors and can be tailored to specific aircraft models.