Is the AP Physics 1 textbook flawed in its explanation of moment of inertia?

In summary: I realize that this is not "the point" of the thread. But it was mentioned in passing above, and I think this should be clarified for future viewers.In summary, the moment of inertia of a body does not depend on its angular acceleration or angular velocity. It only depends on the distribution of mass in the body and the axis of rotation. The equation L = Iw2 is incorrect, and the correct equation for angular momentum is L = Iw. The equation for rotational energy is Krot = (1/2)Iw2.
Ercillent

Homework Statement

[/B]
I'm probably missing something basic here but:

The moment of inertia of a body does NOT depend on which of the following? (choose 2 answers)

A: The angular acceleration of the body
B. The distribution of mass in the body
C. The angular velocity of the body
D. The axis of rotation of the body
E. The mass of the body

Homework Equations

L = Iw2 where L = angular momentum, I = inertia and w = angular velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

If L = Iw2 > > >(rearranged) >>> I = L/w2. How does Inertia not depend on angular velocity if the variable for angular vel (w) is in the equation? The answers in the back of the book say (A) and (C)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does mass depend on speed because KE = (1/2)mv2?

kuruman said:
Does mass depend on speed because KE = (1/2)mv2?

But doesn't inertia depend on angular speed if I = L/w2

Ercillent said:
If L = Iw2 > > >(rearranged) >>> I = L/w2. How does Inertia not depend on angular velocity if the variable for angular vel (w) is in the equation? The answers in the back of the book say (A) and (C)
The answer in the book is correct.
Ercillent said:
But doesn't inertia depend on angular speed if I = L/w2
Not for a rigid body. The only way the moment of inertia depends on angular velocity is if you have a non-rigid structure like a mechanical governor. As kuruman suggests, just because you can rearrange an equation to put an independent variable on one side of the equation, does not transform it into a dependent variable. Are you familiar with those terms? :smile:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SxXjZFy_Lgk/Th6KS2nfPdI/AAAAAAAAACY/oeGWJmL6rsc/s1600/governor.gif
governor.gif

Oh gotcha. Yeah you're right that wouldn't make any sense. Thanks!

Likes berkeman
As a postscript and to keep the thread correct for future viewers, the equation L = I w2 is not valid. If L is angular momentum and w is angular speed, then L = I w. If w2 is to be kept, then we are talking rotational energy, Krot=(1/2)I w2.

Likes berkeman

Related to Is the AP Physics 1 textbook flawed in its explanation of moment of inertia?

What is the "AP Physics 1 textbook flaw"?

The "AP Physics 1 textbook flaw" refers to a mistake or error found in the content of the AP Physics 1 textbook, which is used as a resource for students studying for the AP Physics 1 exam.

What is the impact of the "AP Physics 1 textbook flaw"?

The "AP Physics 1 textbook flaw" can have a significant impact on students' understanding and preparation for the AP Physics 1 exam. It may lead to confusion and incorrect understanding of concepts, which can ultimately affect their exam performance.

How was the "AP Physics 1 textbook flaw" discovered?

The "AP Physics 1 textbook flaw" may have been discovered by students or teachers who noticed inconsistencies or errors in the textbook content while studying or teaching the material. It may also have been identified through reviews or evaluations by experts in the field.

Has the "AP Physics 1 textbook flaw" been addressed?

It is not clear whether the "AP Physics 1 textbook flaw" has been officially acknowledged and addressed by the publisher or the College Board, which oversees the AP program. However, it is possible that corrections or updates have been made in newer editions of the textbook.

What should I do if I encounter the "AP Physics 1 textbook flaw"?

If you come across the "AP Physics 1 textbook flaw" while studying, it is important to consult with your teacher or another reliable source to confirm the accuracy of the information. You may also want to report the error to the publisher or the College Board to bring it to their attention.