Is the Amplitude Halved After Light Passes Through a Polarizer?

In summary, when natural light is incident on a sheet of HN-38 and then transmitted through a sheet of HN-32 at a 30 degree angle, the resulting irradiance will be less than 1/2 due to the properties of the polarizing materials. The exact value of the irradiance will depend on the transmission of the specific polarizing materials used.
Shackleford
Whenever there is natural light, you always assume the amplitude is 1/2 of the incident light amplitude after the first polarizer, right?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/a1.png

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20111030_161325.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:
Whenever there is natural light, you always assume the amplitude is 1/2 of the incident light amplitude after the first polarizer, right?
No. Don't worry about amplitude, just work with the irradiance -- which is different than amplitude.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/a1.png

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20111030_161325.jpg
If I may requote the stated problem, it will be easier for us to follow what is going on:
Natural light having a flux density I0 is incident on a sheet of HN-38. After the light passes through the sheet of HN-38, it transmits through a sheet of HN-32 whose axis of transmission makes an angle of 30 degrees with respect to the transmission axis of the first sheet. Find an expression for the irradiance of the beam after it emerges from the second polarizer.
In an ideal polarizer, the irradiance of natural light is 1/2 after transmission through it. However, for real polarizers HN-38 and HN-32, the irradiance will be less than 1/2.

If your professor wants you to use the actual transmissions of HN-38 and HN-32, then that information should have been provided to you somehow -- either in your lecture notes, class handouts, course website, textbook, or somewhere in the problem set you have been given.

(And if your professor wants you to use the transmission of an ideal polarizer, then I don't think he would have specified two different polarizing materials.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is the Amplitude Halved After Light Passes Through a Polarizer?

1. What is polarization in modern optics?

Polarization in modern optics refers to the direction of the electric field of a light wave. Light waves can be unpolarized, meaning the electric field oscillates in all directions, or polarized, meaning the electric field oscillates in a specific direction. This direction can be horizontal, vertical, or anywhere in between.

2. How is polarization used in modern optics?

Polarization is used in modern optics for a variety of purposes, including reducing glare, enhancing contrast, and creating 3D images. It is also used in technologies such as LCD screens, polarizing filters, and polarimeters.

3. How is polarization measured in optics?

Polarization can be measured using a polarimeter, which is an instrument that measures the angle of polarization of a light wave. Other methods of measuring polarization include using polarizing filters and observing the intensity of light passing through them.

4. What is the difference between linear and circular polarization?

Linear polarization refers to the electric field of a light wave oscillating in a single plane, while circular polarization refers to the electric field rotating in a circular motion. Linear polarization can be vertical or horizontal, while circular polarization can be clockwise or counterclockwise.

5. How does polarization affect the colors we see?

Polarization can affect the colors we see by reducing glare and enhancing contrast. This can make colors appear more vibrant and defined. Polarization can also be used to create 3D images, which can enhance the perception of color depth and saturation.