Is Temperature Independent of Observer Velocity in Relativity?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between the temperature of an observer moving at the velocity of light and the temperature of an observer at rest. There are two possible equations for this relationship, one from Einstein's deduction and one from Planck's deduction. The conversation mentions Tolman's book as a potential source for further information on the topic. There is also a question about whether temperature is a thermodynamic property that is independent of the velocity of the observer.
Iraides Belandria
What is the relationship between the temperature T of an observer moving at the velocity of light relative to the temperature To of an observer at rest, ? Is T= To / Square root (1-v2/c2) or T= To (square root(1-v2/c2)). Einstein´s or Planck´s deduction ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know it by heart (i never had to learn it).I can tell u where u can find it,though:Tolman's book [1] (in the newer edition(s),too)..I'm sure it can be found in books on thermodynamics as well,but i don't know of any that's in English...

Daniel.

-----------------------------------------------------------
[1]Tolman,R.C.:"Relativity,Thermodynamics and Cosmology",Oxford,1934.

I simply doubt it.I think relativistic thermodynamics is a well-established theory.

Daniel.

Maybe. I absolutely don´t know what I´m talking about, just cited the article.

? if temperature is a thermodynamic property should be it indepedent of velocity of observer?

Related to Is Temperature Independent of Observer Velocity in Relativity?

1. What is temperature and how is it related to relativity?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. In the context of relativity, the concept of temperature is related to the idea of spacetime and how it affects the movement and behavior of particles.

2. How does relativity affect the measurement of temperature?

According to the theory of relativity, time and space are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that the measurement of temperature can be affected by the relative motion of the observer and the substance being measured. This is known as the relativistic Doppler effect and can result in a difference in temperature measurements between two observers in different frames of reference.

3. Can temperature affect the speed of light?

Yes, temperature can affect the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is a constant in a vacuum, but it can be affected by the medium through which it travels. As the temperature of the medium increases, the speed of light decreases, and vice versa.

4. How does relativity explain the concept of absolute zero temperature?

In the theory of relativity, there is no concept of absolute rest or absolute zero temperature. However, based on the laws of thermodynamics, it is believed that at absolute zero temperature, all molecular motion ceases, resulting in the minimum possible energy state for a system. This is also known as the ground state.

5. Can temperature affect the perception of time?

Yes, temperature can affect the perception of time. This is due to the fact that our perception of time is relative and can be influenced by factors such as temperature, altitude, and speed. For example, time appears to pass slower in colder temperatures, and faster in warmer temperatures, as our body's metabolic rate and brain function can be affected by temperature.