Is Tan(cos2x) equal to tan(2 cos^-1(x))?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Elissa89
  • Start date
So then what you want to do is show that that is equal to cos(2cos^{-1}(x)). We know that if y= cos^{-1}(x) then cos(y)= x and so we can replace "x" with "cos(y)" in the formula above to gettan(2cos^{-1}(x))= \frac{2cos(y)\sqrt{1- cos^2(y)}}{2cos^2(y)- 1}. Now we use the double angle formula for cosine: cos(2y)= cos^2(y)- sin^2(y). Of course, we also know that sin^2(y)= 1- cos^2(y) so that cos(
Elissa89
tan(2 cos^-1(x))

I'm pretty sure 2 cos^-1(x) is the same as cos2x, the doubles formula, but from there I'm completely lost.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Elissa89 said:
tan(2 cos^-1(x))

I'm pretty sure 2 cos^-1(x) is the same as cos2x, the doubles formula, but from there I'm completely lost.

$2\cos^{-1}(x) \ne \cos(2x)$

$\cos^{-1}(x)$ is an angle (call it $\theta$) such $\cos{\theta} = x$

$\tan(2\theta) = \dfrac{2\tan{\theta}}{1-\tan^2{\theta}}$

$\cos{\theta} = x \implies \sin{\theta} = \sqrt{1-x^2} \implies \tan{\theta} = \dfrac{\sqrt{1-x^2}}{x}$

substitute the above expression for $\tan{\theta}$ in the double angle formula for tangent and simplify the algebra.

Last edited by a moderator:
skeeter said:
$2\cos^{-1}(x) \ne \cos(2x)$

$\cos^{-1}(x)$ is an angle (call it $\theta$) such $\cos{\theta} = x$

$\tan(2\theta) = \dfrac{2\tan{\theta}}{1-\tan^2{\theta}}$

$\cos{\theta} = x \implies \sin{\theta} = \sqrt{1-x^2} \implies \tan{\theta} = \dfrac{\sqrt{1-x^2}}{x}$

substitute the above expression for $\tan{\theta}$ in the double angle formula for tangent and simplify the algebra.

I'm not sure I understand

Elissa89 said:
I'm not sure I understand
What, specifically, don't you understand? We can help you better if we know this.

-Dan

We are having to guess at what the OP is supposed to accomplish. Is it calculating a value for the expression given a value for x or, as we are guessing, is it to find a purely algebraic expression for the given trigonometric expression; or even something else.

It appears that you do not understand what "[tex]cos^{-1}(x)[/tex]" means! It is the inverse function to cos(x) (limited to x= 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex] so that it is one-to-one). [tex]cos^{-1}(1)= 0[/tex] because cos(0)= 1. [tex]cos^{-1}(0)= \pi/2[/tex] because [tex]cos(\pi/2)= 0[/tex], etc.

The basic fact you need to use here is that [tex]cos(cos^{-1}(x))= x[/tex] so you should try to change that "tan(2..)" to "cos(..)". I would start by using the identity [tex]tan(2x)= \frac{2 tan(x)}{1- tan^2(x)}[/tex]. Now use the fact that [tex]tan(x)= \frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}[/tex] and then that [tex]sin(x)= \sqrt{1- cos^2(x)}[/tex]: [tex]tan(2x)= \frac{2 tan(x)}{1- tan^2(x)}[/tex][tex]= \frac{2\frac{\sqrt{1- cos^2(x)}}{cos(x)}}{1- \frac{1- cos^2(x)}{cos^2(x)}}[/tex].

Replacing each "x" with [tex]cos^{-1}(x)[/tex] changes each "cos(x)" to "x" so that
[tex]tan(2cos^{-1}(x))= \frac{2\frac{\sqrt{1- x^2}}{x}}{1- \frac{1- x^2}{x^2}}= \frac{2x\sqrt{1- x^2}}{2x^2- 1}[/tex].

Related to Is Tan(cos2x) equal to tan(2 cos^-1(x))?

1. Is Tan(cos2x) equal to tan(2 cos^-1(x))?

Yes, Tan(cos2x) is equal to tan(2 cos^-1(x)). This is known as the double angle formula for tangent, which states that tan(2x) = 2tan(x) / (1-tan^2(x)). In this case, x is replaced with cos^-1(x), making it tan(2cos^-1(x)) = 2tan(cos^-1(x)) / (1-tan^2(cos^-1(x))). And since cos^-1(x) is the inverse of cos(x), it can be rewritten as tan(cos^-1(x)) = x, resulting in tan(2cos^-1(x)) = 2x / (1-x^2). This is equivalent to Tan(cos2x).

2. How do you prove that Tan(cos2x) is equal to tan(2 cos^-1(x))?

To prove this, we can use the double angle formula for tangent as mentioned above. By substituting x with cos^-1(x), we get tan(2cos^-1(x)) = 2tan(cos^-1(x)) / (1-tan^2(cos^-1(x))). And since tan(cos^-1(x)) = x, we can rewrite it as tan(2cos^-1(x)) = 2x / (1-x^2). This is equivalent to Tan(cos2x), thus proving that they are equal.

3. Can Tan(cos2x) and tan(2 cos^-1(x)) be simplified further?

No, Tan(cos2x) and tan(2 cos^-1(x)) cannot be simplified further. They are already in their simplest form and are equal to each other.

4. What is the domain and range of Tan(cos2x) and tan(2 cos^-1(x))?

The domain for both Tan(cos2x) and tan(2 cos^-1(x)) is all real numbers, except for values where cos2x and 2 cos^-1(x) are undefined (such as when x = pi/2 or x = -pi/2). The range for both functions is also all real numbers.

5. Can this formula be applied to other trigonometric functions?

Yes, this formula can be applied to other trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. For example, the double angle formula for sine states that sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x). By substituting x with cos^-1(x), we get sin(2cos^-1(x)) = 2sin(cos^-1(x))cos(cos^-1(x)). And since sin(cos^-1(x)) = sqrt(1-x^2) and cos(cos^-1(x)) = x, we can rewrite it as sin(2cos^-1(x)) = 2x(sqrt(1-x^2)). This is equivalent to sin(cos2x). Similar formulas can also be derived for other trigonometric functions.