Is T-SQL, Declarative Extensions of SQL Necessary?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sql
In summary, the conversation discusses the necessity of declarative versions of SQL and whether they are equivalent to imperative versions. There is no definitive answer, but it is noted that some implementations may restrict certain features, such as the SQL UNION statement. A comparison is also made between Oracle SQL and T-SQL.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,
Just curious: I was told, without proof, that declarative ( i.e., not purely imperative) versions of SQL are not strictly necessary, i.e., that anything that can be done within declarative extensions can also be done within the imperative "restriction" . So, e.g., anything in SQL Server that is done n T-SQL can also be done within the "Standard" version of MS SQL Server SQL. I could not find anything definitive nor clear in this respect.

Computer science news on Phys.org
When I work with SQL I don't think in this manner. I mean if I'm using T-SQL (which I don't) and I needed to do something more specialized I would look for whatever feature they have that allows me to do it especially if I know that SQL has no such feature.

In some restricted implementations of SQL by other vendors, they may not allow the SQL UNION statement (T-SQL supports this) and so I would need to come up with some intermediate table manipulations to to get what I want.

Here's a comparison of Oracle SQL to T-SQL:

https://www.seguetech.com/microsoft-sql-server-vs-oracle-same-different/

Likes WWGD

Related to Is T-SQL, Declarative Extensions of SQL Necessary?

1. What is T-SQL and how does it differ from SQL?

T-SQL stands for Transact-SQL, which is a proprietary extension of SQL developed by Microsoft. It adds additional features and functionality to the standard SQL language, such as support for stored procedures, user-defined functions, and error handling.

2. Why are declarative extensions of SQL necessary?

Declarative extensions of SQL, such as T-SQL, allow for more complex and efficient data manipulation and retrieval. They also provide additional control and security features, making it easier to manage and maintain databases.

3. How do T-SQL and declarative extensions of SQL benefit data analysis and reporting?

T-SQL and other declarative extensions of SQL allow for more efficient and flexible data analysis and reporting. They provide advanced querying capabilities, data aggregation and grouping functions, and data manipulation tools that make it easier to extract insights from large datasets.

4. Are there any downsides to using T-SQL and declarative extensions of SQL?

One potential downside is that T-SQL is specific to Microsoft SQL Server and may not be compatible with other database management systems. Additionally, learning and implementing T-SQL can require additional training and resources.

5. Can T-SQL and declarative extensions of SQL be used in all types of databases?

No, T-SQL and other declarative extensions of SQL are specific to certain database management systems, such as Microsoft SQL Server. Other databases may have their own proprietary extensions or may not support declarative extensions at all.