Is Stellina the Ultimate Telescope for Amateur Astronomers?

• B
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the Stellina, a fully automated telescope that is marketed towards non-technical individuals who want to enjoy astrophotography without the steep learning curve. The price of the Stellina is considered to be astronomical for some, with conflicting thoughts on its value and customization options. There is also a mention of a similar product called the Unistellar eVscope. Some experienced astrophotographers have reservations about recommending a robo-scope like the Stellina due to its lack of flexibility and potential for future upgrades. A review of the Stellina by Astrobiscuit was also mentioned.
swampwiz
  • Wow
Likes Drakkith and Delta2
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes but don’t know much other than the price is astronomical for my budget.

There is a 2019 review of the product on youtube

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Oldman too, DennisN, pinball1970 and 1 other person
I think the price for the specs is bonkers. I would personally prefer a modular setup that goes upto the same cost in total. I might grow out of Stellina very soon if I were to buy.

Likes russ_watters
I have conflicting thoughts on this. On the one hand, it seems like a natural and sensible step to fully automate the image acquisition and processing work one would have to do themselves with a regular telescope+digital camera setup. A lot of automation is already there in common use, but spread out among different devices and applications. It's also a nice way for non-nerds to enjoy the views of the universe, as even with equipment like GoTo and apps for stacking images etc., complete newbies have to surmount a steep learning curve.

On the other hand, I feel (snobbish, elitist - I know) disdain for what appears to be the Macintosh laptop of telescopes: overpriced for its specs, limited in customisation options, aimed at people who don't care to learn what they're doing, and apparently designed to be more of a status symbol than a tool.
Although, again, it's probably just the dinosaur in me talking (you're not doing >real< astrophotography unless you're tracking the sky by hand and capturing images on film with a camera bolted to the telescope via a DIY adapter).

Likes Oldman too, russ_watters, DennisN and 2 others
jedishrfu said:
the price is astronomical
I saw what you did there.

• Haha
Likes Oldman too, DennisN, PhysicoRaj and 2 others

swampwiz said:
Anyone heard of Stellina?
I think I've seen an ad somewhere.

There is another similar type of telescope (fully automated) called Unistellar eVscope, a bit cheaper but still expensive (£2,599).

Here's a post with a video where it was used, and here's a review:
Unistellar eVscope review (BBC Sky at Night)

Bandersnatch said:
It's also a nice way for non-nerds to enjoy the views of the universe, as even with equipment like GoTo and apps for stacking images etc., complete newbies have to surmount a steep learning curve.
Very true.

Bandersnatch said:
for what appears to be the Macintosh laptop of telescopes
:biggrin:

DennisN said:
There is another similar type of telescope (fully automated) called Unistellar eVscope, a bit cheaper but still expensive (£2,599).
The company making Stellina has two other lines of products (accessible from the linked website). The smaller one is both significantly cheaper at 1500 EUR, and with less powerful optics (approx. half the aperture and focal length). But given how it's never going to be used for naked-eye viewing, the lower specs are less of an issue.

• Informative
Likes DennisN
(Oops, I was going to reply to this thread when it started, but I got distracted. Well, here we go.)

I have reservations about recommending a robo-scope like the Stellina. It does have a niche market though. So if the following applies to you, then you might consider an all-in-one, automated scope like Stellina:
  • You have no interest in taking up astrophotography as an actual hobby. Maybe you're too busy. Maybe you don't like or are not good at learning technical, and often tedious things. Maybe you have no interest in going down the astrophotography rabbit hole. All you want is some astro-photos you can call your own, even if they're not the best, and you have no interest in improving upon them. You just want them anyway.
  • You have a lot of money to blow.
If these apply to you, then a robo-scope such as Stellina might be marketed to you. Otherwise there are better and cheaper ways.

I'll be the first to admit that astrophotography is a serious rabbit-hole. It can get really, really expensive if you let it. And even if you keep things on the cheap, there is still so much to learn it can be overwhelming if you're not truly interested in it. So if you know you're not going to be dedicated to the learning -- lots of learning -- but you still want some space photos anyway, then maybe a robo-scope like Stellina is up your alley.

But what any experienced astrophotographer will tell you is that flexibility in equipment is really important. I'll make many changes to my equipment depending on the target I'm working on. I don't use the same filters for galaxies that I use for nebula. Sometimes I'll use a focal reducer and sometimes not, depending on the target. For planetary imaging I'll use a completely different camera, and a barlow lens, not to mention an atmospheric dispersion corrector. And I'll process all of the above completely differently. None of these necessary configuration changes can be done with a robo-scope.

The robo-scope uses a one-size-fits-all for everything. And what if next year a new camera, with a new, state-of-the-art sensor is on the market. I can buy the new camera and still use it with all my existing equipment. But with the robo-scope, you'd be stuck with the existing camera. Hell, I can buy a new telescope and use my existing cameras and accessories with it; but with the robo-scope, nope: you're stuck with what you got. No mixing-and-matching. No configuration changes. You're stuck in an inflexible setup.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

[Edit: Oh, and if I want, I can dig out my diagonal and eyepieces and use the telescope visually. Although I don't do it much anymore, there's something truly special about visual astronomy, particularly when it comes to star clusters (either globular or open). So take that, robo-scopes!]

---------------------------------

Astrobiscuit has a pretty good (and funny) review of the Stellina:

Here's some additional details on his Stellina clone:
https://www.astrobiscuit.com/build-your-own-stellina

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Oldman too, DrClaude, DennisN and 1 other person
collinsmark said:
Astrobiscuit has a pretty good (and funny) review of the Stellina
I've just watched it, very funny! :smile:
(I realized I've actually seen some videos before on that channel when I was looking for telescopes.)

Related to Is Stellina the Ultimate Telescope for Amateur Astronomers?

1. Is Stellina the best telescope for amateur astronomers?

It is difficult to say that one telescope is the absolute best for all amateur astronomers. However, Stellina is a high-quality, user-friendly telescope that is well-suited for beginners and experienced astronomers alike.

2. What makes Stellina different from other telescopes?

Stellina is unique in that it is a fully automated, smart telescope that can be controlled through a smartphone or tablet. It also uses advanced technology, such as motorized lenses and image stacking, to provide high-quality images of celestial objects.

3. Can Stellina be used for deep sky objects?

Yes, Stellina is designed to capture images of both planetary and deep sky objects. Its advanced technology allows it to capture detailed images of galaxies, nebulae, and star clusters.

4. Is Stellina easy to set up and use?

Yes, Stellina is designed to be user-friendly and easy to set up. It does not require any complicated assembly or calibration, and can be controlled through a simple smartphone app.

5. What is the price range for Stellina?

The price of Stellina can vary depending on the specific model and any additional accessories. However, it generally falls within the range of $2,000 to $5,000, making it a more affordable option compared to other high-end telescopes.