Is Static Friction Necessary on an Incline When Motion Stops?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the friction of a coin on an incline. The speaker is unsure of how to calculate the friction and asks for clarification on the "following circumstances." They also mention using the coefficient of kinetic friction and considering the sum of all forces in the x direction. They clarify that there are no forces given in the x direction and ask if they should still use the coefficient of kinetic friction.
mak66
no longer needed

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Would you be able to list the "following circumstances" so we can help you?

Sorry about that, it wants to know what the friction is when the coin comes to rest. I know the direction of the friction is up the incline, but other than that I'm stuck.

if they ask you to find the friction of the coin in motion or in motion coming to rest then use coefficient of kinetic friction to calculate friction right?

do you know what the sum of all forces are in the x direction?

It doesn't give any forces in the x direction, just what I typed. So if it was in motion but came to rest I still use the coefficient of kinetic friction? I was using the coefficient of static friction. What I did was find the normal force and multiply by u static friction.

Related to Is Static Friction Necessary on an Incline When Motion Stops?

1. What is static friction on an incline?

Static friction on an incline is the force that prevents an object from sliding down the incline due to gravity. It is a type of friction that occurs when two surfaces are in contact but not moving relative to each other.

2. How is static friction affected by the angle of the incline?

The force of static friction increases as the angle of the incline increases. This is because there is a greater component of the weight of the object acting parallel to the surface, increasing the force the surface must exert to prevent the object from sliding.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of static friction on an incline?

The magnitude of static friction on an incline is affected by the weight of the object, the coefficient of static friction between the two surfaces, and the angle of the incline.

4. How is the coefficient of static friction determined for an incline?

The coefficient of static friction for an incline can be determined by dividing the force of static friction by the weight of the object. This can be done by gradually increasing the angle of the incline until the object just begins to slide, and then using trigonometric functions to calculate the force of static friction.

5. Can the force of static friction on an incline ever exceed the weight of the object?

No, the force of static friction can never exceed the weight of the object. If the angle of the incline is increased beyond the point where the force of static friction can balance the weight of the object, the object will begin to slide down the incline.