Is Static Equilibrium Really That Simple?

In summary, the conversation is about a student from Norway struggling with a static equilibrium problem. The student is looking for help in finding the forces Fa and Fb on a given figure using the equations ΣF_X = 0, ΣF_Y = 0, and Στ = 0. The student has attempted to solve the problem by drawing the forces on the figure and manipulating the relevant equations, but is still unsure of the correct method. They are seeking guidance in finding the correct solution.
urk.nono
Hello! I'm a student from Norway, and I've been struggling with a static equilibrium for a few hours now. The terms I use might not be "right", but I'll try to explain the problem to the best of my ability.

Homework Statement

Find the forces Fa and Fb on this figure:

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/4505/321k.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma F_X = 0[/tex]
[tex]\Sigma F_Y = 0[/tex]
[tex]\Sigma \tau = 0[/tex] (sum torque = 0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it by drawing the forces on the figure:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7513/321graph.jpg

After much fiddling with the "relevant equations" I came across the following:

20kN *3,5m - Fb * sin(30) * 5,5m = 0
=> Fb = 37,21kN

OR

20kN * 3,5m - Fb * cos(70) * 5,5m = 0
=> Fb = 37,21kN

Fa * cos(11,75) * 2m - 20m * 3,5m = 0
=> Fa = 35,74kN

I know from my measurements and by checking the solution in the book, it's pretty damn close. By which formula, or by what method I got no clue whatsoever.

I'd appreciate if someone could help me out by pointing me in the right direction :smile:

Thanks in advance

Urk

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi urk.nono, welcome to PF. I am not sure what the second drawing you posted shows. I am used to force vectors represented as arrows, not line segments. Anyway, if you write the x and y components of the force at A as [FSUB]x[/SUB] (to the right) and Fy (up), can you find three equations saying

ΣFi,x = 0
ΣFi,y = 0
Σtorques = 0
?

Note: Your work will be much easier if you calculate torques about point A.

Last edited:
han

Hello Urkhan,

First of all, congratulations on attempting to solve the problem on your own and seeking help when needed. That is the mindset of a true scientist.

Static equilibrium is a very important concept in physics and engineering. It refers to a state where all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero. This means that the object is not moving or rotating. In your problem, the figure is in static equilibrium, meaning that the sum of all the forces acting on it must be zero.

Your approach to solving the problem is correct. You have correctly identified the relevant equations for static equilibrium, which are the sum of forces in the x-direction, sum of forces in the y-direction, and the sum of torques. These equations are based on Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first and second laws.

To solve the problem, you need to consider all the forces acting on the figure and set up the equations accordingly. From your diagram, it looks like there are three forces acting on the figure: the 20kN force, Fa, and Fb. As you correctly stated, the sum of forces in the x-direction and y-direction must be zero, which means that the forces must be balanced. This will allow you to solve for Fa and Fb.

In addition, you also correctly identified the need to consider the torque, or rotational force, in your equations. This is because the figure is not only experiencing forces in the x and y directions, but also a rotational force due to the 20kN force acting at a distance from the pivot point.

To solve for Fa and Fb, you can use your equations and plug in the given values for the distances and angles. It looks like you may have made a small error in your calculations, which is why your answers are slightly off from the solutions in the book. I would recommend double-checking your calculations to make sure they are correct.

Overall, you have a good understanding of the concept of static equilibrium and have correctly applied the relevant equations. Keep practicing and seeking help when needed, and you will continue to improve your skills as a scientist. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Is Static Equilibrium Really That Simple?

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which an object or system is at rest and has no acceleration. This means that all forces acting on the object are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero.

2. How is static equilibrium different from dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a stationary object, while dynamic equilibrium refers to an object in motion at a constant velocity. In dynamic equilibrium, the net force is still zero, but the object is moving at a constant speed.

3. What are the conditions for static equilibrium?

In order for an object to be in static equilibrium, two conditions must be met: the net force acting on the object must be zero, and the net torque (or rotational force) acting on the object must also be zero.

4. How is the center of mass related to static equilibrium?

The center of mass is the point on an object where all of its mass can be considered to be concentrated. In static equilibrium, the center of mass must be directly above the point of support, in order to maintain balance.

5. Can an object be in static equilibrium if it is accelerating?

No, an object cannot be in static equilibrium if it is accelerating. In order for an object to be in static equilibrium, it must be at rest or moving at a constant velocity. Any acceleration would indicate that the forces acting on the object are not balanced, and therefore it is not in static equilibrium.