Is Spivak not enough of a cookbook?

• Thread starter AlwaysCurious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spivak
In summary, the conversation discusses using Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds as a follow-up to a rigorous single variable calculus course. The book covers advanced topics such as epsilon delta proofs, differential forms, and integration on manifolds, but may not cover all of the standard material in a non-honors calculus 3 course. Prior knowledge of proof-based linear algebra is also necessary.
AlwaysCurious
Hey there,

I'm a high school student learning some basic linear algebra and multivariable calculus. I just ordered Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds, since the book that I've been going through was not as interesting (not a horrible cookbook, but most of the problems could be done without a lot of thought), and since I learned calculus out of his much less terse Calculus, which by and large I really enjoyed (although I did struggle with it quite a bit at the outset).

My question is, will Spivak give me all of the necessary information that one would typically get out of a standard cookbook calc 3 course? It certainly would give me more of an education, but would I learn all of the standard topics covered?

Thank you!
Brian

Physics news on Phys.org
The term "calc 3" doesn't have any widely accepted definition.

Spivak is meant to follow up on rigorous single variable calculus proof based course as it goes straight into epsilon delta proofs in multiple dimensions, inverse function theorem, differential forms / exterior calculus, integration on manifolds, stokes theorem etc. Much of this material will not be covered in a typical non honors calculus 3 class in college and much of the standard non honors calc 3 material will not be covered in this book at all. You definitely, definitely, need to have done proof based linear algebra beforehand. He will assume you know what dual spaces are, what bilinear forms are (if I recall correctly), but things like multi - linear forms and tensor products he introduces in the book itself.

Related to Is Spivak not enough of a cookbook?

1. What is "Is Spivak not enough of a cookbook?"

"Is Spivak not enough of a cookbook?" is a book written by mathematician Michael Spivak that provides a rigorous introduction to differential geometry and calculus on manifolds.

2. Is "Is Spivak not enough of a cookbook?" suitable for beginners?

While "Is Spivak not enough of a cookbook?" assumes some mathematical background, it is suitable for beginners in the sense that it starts with the basics and gradually builds up to more advanced topics. However, it may require some dedication and effort to fully grasp the material.

3. What makes "Is Spivak not enough of a cookbook?" different from other math textbooks?

"Is Spivak not enough of a cookbook?" is known for its clear and concise writing style, as well as its emphasis on understanding concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. It also includes challenging exercises that encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. Is "Is Spivak not enough of a cookbook?" a good resource for self-study?

Yes, "Is Spivak not enough of a cookbook?" is often used as a self-study resource for advanced mathematics students, as it is comprehensive and well-structured. However, it is always beneficial to supplement self-study with additional resources and seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. What level of math is required to understand "Is Spivak not enough of a cookbook?"

"Is Spivak not enough of a cookbook?" assumes familiarity with basic calculus and linear algebra, as well as some knowledge of proof-writing and mathematical reasoning. It is typically used by undergraduate students in mathematics or related fields.