Is space is continuous or discrete?

In summary, the debate over whether space is continuous or discrete is ongoing. Some scientists believe that experiments with high energy collisions or observations of extreme events in deep space could provide evidence for one or the other. However, the technological limitations and complexities of these experiments make it difficult to definitively prove either theory. Additionally, the concept of particles as perturbations in fields adds a layer of complexity to the discussion. Ultimately, the answer may lie in a deeper understanding of the nature of language and how we perceive and categorize the world around us.
Varsha Verma
I was watching a video where well known physicist Lisa Randall said that we still don't know whether space is continuous or discrete.

My question is, how do we find whether space is continuous or discrete?? What type of experiments are possible? Is it being done now??

I am thinking this may be connected to elementary particles. So, I am thinking like this: Space will be discrete if we ever found a particle that cannot be divided further. But then that particle also resides inside space, so how can we tell that SPACE is discrete??

How do we do it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
String theorists might argue that space occupied by the theoretical strings is a discrete bit of space.
While string theory looks good mathematically, we have no technology at present which could validate the idea.

Varsha Verma said:
What type of experiments are possible?
From what I have read, the Energy needed to prove or disprove this is way in excess of what they can use in CERN etc.. I imagine that the answer may lie in observations of extreme events in deep space.

Likes Varsha Verma
Varsha Verma said:
Space will be discrete if we ever found a particle that cannot be divided further.
We've found several kinds of particles that, as far as we know, cannot be divided further - electrons, for example. It doesn't follow that space is discrete.

Likes Varsha Verma
sophiecentaur said:
From what I have read, the Energy needed to prove or disprove this is way in excess of what they can use in CERN etc.. I imagine that the answer may lie in observations of extreme events in deep space.
So, what is the experiment we can do if we assume we have this enormous energy??

Varsha Verma said:
So, what is the experiment we can do if we assume we have this enormous energy??
No idea but do most of us really understand how things like the Higgs Boson are detected by CERN? It's based on looking at the various energies of the products of high energy collisions. Higgs predicted a presence at a certain energy and they found it.
Perhaps looking for a variations in some of the expected spectra of very high energy products could imply spatial quantisation. On a very humdrum level, you can detect periodic variations along an RF feeder line by looking at the frequency response (it behaves like a temporal filter). However it's done (if ever) it will be very subtle on top of very subtle!

Likes Varsha Verma
I thought [according to Sean Carrol et al] that particles don't exist - they are all perturbations in various fields..

MrFPercival said:
I thought [according to Sean Carrol et al] that particles don't exist - they are all perturbations in various fields..
These perturbations exist. These perturbations are particles. Therefore, particles exist. They just don't behave the way that our classical intuition, based on a lifetime of experience with bullets, beads, and other small solid objects, expects.

However, further discussion of what particles are is off-topic here and belongs in a thread of its own - but please review some of the many threads on this subject that we already have before starting a new one.

Likes Varsha Verma
Nugatory said:
These perturbations exist. These perturbations are particles. Therefore, particles exist. They just don't behave the way that our classical intuition, based on a lifetime of experience with bullets, beads, and other small solid objects, expects.
However, further discussion of what particles are is off-topic here and belongs in a thread of its own - but please review some of the many threads on this subject that we already have before starting a new one.

Back on topic, as 'particles' are perturbations or mathematical snapshots of field vibrations I tend to think that space/spacetime is continuous or the universe is 'one'. Saying something is 'discrete' is a question of linguistics; language is discrete and uses atomic chunks [nouns etc] so we naturally attach labels to everything so we can process concepts and communicate. To 'know' is to atomise something into pieces which are then themselves believed to be 'real' or discrete. We need some sort of linguistic calculus to unpick it all.

MrFPercival said:
Saying something is 'discrete' is a question of linguistics; language is discrete and uses atomic chunks [nouns etc] so we naturally attach labels to everything so we can process concepts and communicate. To 'know' is to atomise something into pieces which are then themselves believed to be 'real' or discrete. We need some sort of linguistic calculus to unpick it all.

Sorry, but it doesn't make sense and has nothing to do with physics.

1. What does it mean for space to be continuous or discrete?

This refers to the nature of space itself - whether it is smooth and infinitely divisible (continuous), or made up of individual, separate units (discrete).

2. How do scientists currently view space - as continuous or discrete?

There is currently no consensus among scientists on whether space is continuous or discrete. Theories and models exist for both possibilities, but there is no definitive proof for either.

3. What evidence supports the idea of continuous space?

One argument for continuous space is the concept of infinity - if space were discrete, there would be a limit to the number of individual units, whereas with continuity, there is no limit. Additionally, many mathematical models and theories, such as calculus, rely on the assumption of continuous space.

4. How does the concept of discrete space affect our understanding of the universe?

If space were discrete, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would mean that there is a smallest unit of space, which could potentially have a profound impact on theories of gravity and the behavior of matter on a very small scale.

5. Is there any ongoing research or experiments that could help determine if space is continuous or discrete?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to explore the nature of space and determine if it is continuous or discrete. One example is the search for evidence of a smallest unit of space, which could provide insight into the discreteness of space. Other experiments, such as studying the behavior of matter at extremely small scales, could also provide valuable information.