Is Silicon Transparent to Infrared Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the transparency of silicon to infrared waves and whether it is 100% transparent. The participants share reference materials and links for further research on the topic. One participant mentions that while silicon appears transparent, there is some absorption, refraction, and reflection. The conversation also touches on the transparency of other materials such as ZnSe.
rr00053
hi everyone...

i have got a general doubt...I have heard that silicon is transparent to
infrared...so does that mean that any IR wave entering silicon comes out of it without any change? Is silicon 100% transparent to IR? does the transparency depend on temperature or any other parametre?

Can anyone give me some reference material, suggest some books or some links where i can get data about silicon transparency?

please hep me...
thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's about the same as, for instance, glass for optical wavelengths. It looks more or less transparent, and the transmission is in the high 90s, but there is some (small) absorption and some refraction and a small bit of reflection. There's a mask aligner in the place I work at that uses backside IR illumination so you can align masks to features already present on the silicon. Haven't used it myself, however.

Here's a paper from Virginia Semiconductor (they make custom silicon)--this is targeted mostly to researchers, and it may be difficult to understand without some optics background:
http://www.virginiasemi.com/pdf/Optical%20Properties%20of%20Silicon71502.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi matlabdude,
thanku very much for the response and the reference u gave...taking a quick look at the data u gave and the data andy resnick gave...the maximum transmission seems jus below 60%. however u pointed out tat transmission is at high 90's ...
anyway thanyou for the data you gave...

HI andy resnick,
thanku for the valuable links...

rr00053 said:
Hi matlabdude,
thanku very much for the response and the reference u gave...taking a quick look at the data u gave and the data andy resnick gave...the maximum transmission seems jus below 60%. however u pointed out tat transmission is at high 90's ...
anyway thanyou for the data you gave...

High 90s is visible light through a thin piece of glass (I was laying down the groundwork in case you didn't have any background)

Related to Is Silicon Transparent to Infrared Light?

1. Is silicon transparent to infrared light?

Yes, silicon is transparent to infrared light. It has a transmission range of approximately 1.2-8 micrometers, making it suitable for use in infrared technology.

2. How does silicon interact with infrared light?

Silicon is a semiconductor material, which means it can absorb and emit infrared light. When infrared light hits silicon, it can excite the electrons in the material, causing them to jump to a higher energy level.

3. Can silicon be used in infrared cameras?

Yes, silicon is commonly used in infrared cameras. It is a cost-effective and widely available material that can efficiently detect infrared light. However, other materials such as indium gallium arsenide may be used for higher sensitivity.

4. Is silicon transparent to all wavelengths of infrared light?

No, silicon is only transparent to certain wavelengths of infrared light. It has a transmission range of approximately 1.2-8 micrometers, which falls within the near-infrared and mid-infrared regions of the electromagnetic spectrum.

5. Are there any limitations to using silicon in infrared technology?

One limitation of using silicon in infrared technology is its limited transmission range. It is not transparent to far-infrared light, which has longer wavelengths and is used in applications such as thermal imaging. Additionally, silicon has a lower sensitivity to infrared light compared to other materials.