Is Reviewing Intro Physics During Winter Break Worth It?

• Thread starter lubuntu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break
In summary, the conversation discusses whether it would be beneficial to review material from Intro Physics I & II or to start reading ahead into the next semester's work during winter break. The question of whether the concepts from Intro Physics will be touched on again at a deeper level is raised, and it is noted that the answer depends on the specific course and its emphasis on certain concepts. The conversation also touches on the usefulness of reviewing Intro Physics in comparison to the skills needed in higher level physics courses. Ultimately, it is suggested that reviewing the material and gaining a strong understanding of the concepts can be helpful in future courses.
lubuntu
Would it better on winter break to take the time review stuff from Intro Physics I & II or to start reading ahead into next semesters work?

I had thought of doing an intensive review of Intro Physics I & II since it has been a year since I took that sequence and will now be resuming physics but at the same time I was glad to move beyond those class and start learning at a bit higher of a level. Won't almost everything we learned there be touched on again at a deeper level? Is it worth it taking time to review?

Physics news on Phys.org
lubuntu said:
Would it better on winter break to take the time review stuff from Intro Physics I & II or to start reading ahead into next semesters work?

How are we supposed to know? What does "next semesters work" entail for you?

Won't almost everything we learned there be touched on again at a deeper level? Is it worth it taking time to review?

Again, it's impossible to answer this question without more information. If you are continuing a standard physics sequence, you'll need to be strong more on concepts of energy, momentum, etc. than on how to solve problems involving bullets hitting blocks or roller coasters.

Review is usually not a bad thing, though.

fss said:
How are we supposed to know? What does "next semesters work" entail for you?

Modern Physics is my primary physics class. Also a Math methods class..

fss said:
Again, it's impossible to answer this question without more information. If you are continuing a standard physics sequence, you'll need to be strong more on concepts of energy, momentum, etc. than on how to solve problems involving bullets hitting blocks or roller coasters.

Review is usually not a bad thing, though.

This is helpful I did feel like Intro Physics has a lot of fluff and advanced concepts covered at such an elementary level as to be nearly useless for anyone who will be studying this stuff more deeply.

Might it make sense to read through key chapters and derive some basic results but not really working about reviewing how to working through the typically inane Intro Physics style problems? I sort of dread doing those sorts of problems-not because of difficulty but because most don't really help develop an understanding of the physics.

Let me put it this way.

How much does higher level physics resemble the sort of work and thinking required to do Intro Physics problems?

lubuntu said:
How much does higher level physics resemble the sort of work and thinking required to do Intro Physics problems?

In my opinion, not very much at all. Mostly because you have to think in order to solve a problem instead of looking up the equation and plugging and chugging.

fss said:
In my opinion, not very much at all. Mostly because you have to think in order to solve a problem instead of looking up the equation and plugging and chugging.
Well, I think that depends on the rigor of your intro. course. I found that my 3rd year mechanics and thermodynamics courses had questions of a similar nature to those of my intro. physics work, except that the more advanced courses used much more calculus and required knowledge of how to solve basic differential equations. I think the mathematical modeling and problem solving skills you pick up in an intro. course will always be useful.

Related to Is Reviewing Intro Physics During Winter Break Worth It?

1. How can I make the most out of my winter break?

One way to make the most out of your winter break is to create a schedule or plan for your time off. This can help you stay organized and prioritize your activities. Also, consider trying new hobbies or activities that you may not have had time for during the school year.

2. Is it important to take a break during winter break?

Yes, it is important to take a break during winter break. It is a time for rest and relaxation after a busy school year. Taking breaks can also help prevent burnout and improve productivity when you return to school.

3. How can I balance relaxing and being productive during winter break?

One way to balance relaxing and being productive is to set specific goals for your break. This can include completing a certain number of tasks or projects, as well as giving yourself time to rest and recharge. It's also important to listen to your body and take breaks when needed.

4. What are some ways to stay mentally and physically healthy during winter break?

Some ways to stay mentally and physically healthy during winter break include maintaining a regular sleep schedule, staying active with exercise or outdoor activities, and incorporating self-care practices such as meditation or journaling. It's also important to stay connected with friends and family for social support.

5. How can I use winter break to prepare for the upcoming semester?

Winter break can be a great time to prepare for the upcoming semester. This can include reviewing course materials, organizing study materials, and setting academic goals. It can also be a good time to reach out to professors or advisors for any questions or concerns about the upcoming semester.