Is Relativity Automatically Accounted for in Maxwell's Equations?

In summary, the E&M field is a two-form that transforms according to the Lorentz transformation. Amperes' law can be used to calculate the B field in one frame, but you need to correct for the relativistic speed when measuring the B field in a second frame.
cragar
I remember when I took E&M my teacher said that special relativity was built into Maxwells equations.
Let's look at a line charge moving at non-relativistic speeds first.
We use amperes Law to find the B field.
frame 1: [itex] B=\frac{\mu_0 v \lambda }{2 \pi r } [/itex]

frame 2: relativistic speed [itex] B'=\frac{\mu_0 \lambda v' \gamma }{2 \pi r } [/itex]
in frame 2 the line charge becomes length contracted so the gamma factor takes care of that.
v and v' are the speeds relative to the moving charge.
Now if relativity was built into maxwells equations why did I need to correct for frame 2.
Or if I knew the charge per length in frame 2 at speed v' then would I calculate it just like frame 1.
If I know the correct charge density at any speed do I just calculate it normally with amperes law and there is no need for a relativistic correction.
I know there is an E field in each frame but I am just looking at the B field.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi cragar! :smile:
cragar said:
I know there is an E field in each frame but I am just looking at the B field.

ah, that's where you're missing the point …

E&M isn't just E and M

the E&M field is one field, and it transforms (as a 2-form) according to the lorentz transformation, mixing up the E and M bits

that mixing by the lorentz transformation is what is built into maxwell's equations :wink:
Now if relativity was built into maxwells equations why did I need to correct for frame 2.

you measure velocity differently in each frame, so what is strange about measuring distance differently in each frame? :smile:

ok you I should pay attention to both E and B cause in some frames processes are Electric and magnetic.
Ok I understand how if v changes in different frames then so will the length contraction.
I still don't see why relativity is built into E&M yet. I do know that you can derive c from the wave equations of E and B.

cragar said:
I still don't see why relativity is built into E&M yet. I do know that you can derive c from the wave equations of E and B.

from the pf library on Maxwell's equations

Changing to units in which [itex]\varepsilon_0[/itex] [itex]\mu_0[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] are 1, we may combine the two 3-vectors [itex]\mathbf{E}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex] into the 6-component Faraday 2-form [itex](\mathbf{E};\mathbf{B})[/itex], or its dual, the Maxwell 2-form [itex](\mathbf{E};\mathbf{B})^*[/itex].

And we may define the current 4-vector J as [itex](Q_f,\mathbf{j}_f)[/itex].

Then the differential versions of Gauss' Law and the Ampère-Maxwell Law can be combined as:

[tex]\nabla \times (\mathbf{E};\mathbf{B})^*\,=\,(\nabla \cdot \mathbf{E}\ ,\ \frac{\partial\mathbf{E}}{\partial t}\,+\,\nabla\times\mathbf{B})^*\,=\,J^*[/tex]

and those of Gauss' Law for Magnetism and Faraday's Law can be combined as:

[tex]\nabla \times (\mathbf{E};\mathbf{B}) = (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B}\ ,\ \frac{\partial\mathbf{B}}{\partial t}\,+\,\nabla\times\mathbf{E})^*\,=\,0[/tex]​

the last two equations are clearly lorentz covariant! :smile:

(to see how to transform (E;B), write it as …

##E_x\mathbf{x}\wedge\mathbf{t} + E_y\mathbf{y}\wedge\mathbf{t} + E_z\mathbf{z}\wedge\mathbf{t} + B_x\mathbf{y}\wedge\mathbf{z} + B_y\mathbf{z}\wedge\mathbf{x} + B_z\mathbf{x}\wedge\mathbf{y}##​

and then use the lorentz transformation on the individual x y z and t , together of course with ##\mathbf{x}\wedge\mathbf{x} = 0, \mathbf{x}\wedge\mathbf{y} = -\mathbf{y}\wedge\mathbf{x}##)

cragar said:
I still don't see why relativity is built into E&M yet
It is a manifestly Lorentz covariant field theory. All you have to do is take the standard Maxwell equations written using vector calculus, define the electromagnetic field strength tensor, and rewrite the equations using the space-time derivative operator to put it into a form that is manifestly Lorentz covariant.

ok thanks, wouldn't a lot of Newtonian mechanics be Lorentz covariant. like momentum.

Related to Is Relativity Automatically Accounted for in Maxwell's Equations?

What is E&M and Relativity and why is it important?

E&M stands for electromagnetism, which is the study of the relationship between electricity and magnetism. Relativity refers to Einstein’s theory of relativity, which explains the relationship between space and time. These theories are important because they help us understand the fundamental laws of nature and have many practical applications in technology and everyday life.

What are the key principles of E&M and Relativity?

The key principles of E&M are that electric charges create electric fields and moving charges create magnetic fields. Relativity is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light is always the same, regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

How do E&M and Relativity relate to each other?

E&M and Relativity are related because they are both fundamental theories that explain different aspects of the physical world. E&M is a classical theory that describes the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, while Relativity is a modern theory that explains the relationship between space and time. Relativity also has implications for E&M, such as the concept of length contraction and time dilation.

What are some real-world applications of E&M and Relativity?

There are many real-world applications of E&M and Relativity. For example, E&M is used in the development of electrical devices and circuits, such as computers and smartphones. Relativity is used in technology such as GPS, where the precise timing of signals is crucial for accurate navigation. Both theories are also important in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds and in the study of the universe.

What are some common misconceptions about E&M and Relativity?

One common misconception about E&M and Relativity is that they only apply to extreme or specialized situations. In reality, these theories have a wide range of applications in our everyday lives. Another misconception is that Relativity replaces Newton's laws of motion. While Relativity does expand upon Newton's laws, they are still accurate and useful in most situations. Lastly, some people may think that E&M and Relativity are too complex to understand, but with proper explanations and examples, they can be understood by anyone.