Is reducing an engines fuel consumption by 85% impossible?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the fuel efficiency of a 28-year-old Nissan Bluebird Wagon, with the speaker claiming to have achieved a mileage of 5.9L/100km on a recent trip. Various suggestions were made for verifying this claim, including using a professional camera to record the trip and pulling the engine out for testing. However, it was concluded that these methods are not sufficient for a serious discussion and the topic was locked.

Do you believe I have reduced my fuel consumption by 85%

• False=You cheated some how.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • True=I believe the figures.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • A 20L jerry can topup during the trip in a parking bay.

• Fill up half way on the trip with cash.

• Would you believe the figures if the MythBusters Tested my car with similar results.

• Total voters
smokingwheels
I expect to be shot down in flames but I don't mine one bit.

I have just done a bit of a drive in my 28 year old Nissan Bluebird Wagon about 10% city 90% HWY...NO Fancy EFI systems or direct injection here just a plain old carburetor running slightly rich at idle.

I just did a rough distance calculation on whereis.com ...308 Km on 18.23L of fuel that's about 5.9 L/100 km and have 2 other people in the car and with tools and baggage.
I will fine tune the mileage later on but I filled up at Warnbro then to Subiaco to Kenwick to Armadale then filled up at Wagin.
I put in 1/2 a tank of 98 octane as well but this would not account for such an increase in mileage.

Also the Elevation of Wagin is 303 m and the elevation of Wanbro is 20' so I was going uphilll slightly as well over the journey.

I have receipts which I can scan later on if needed.

My car is rated somewhere around 11 L/100 km on the HWY.

But if its impossible then how did I do it?

Poll options
1. False=You cheated some how.
2. True=I believe the figures.
3. A 20L jerry can topup.
4. Fill up half way on the trip with cash.
5. Would MythBusters buy my car and test it.

I will be doing some more trips soon and will keep more records.

I know I need to pull the engine out and put it on a test bed but at the moment its the only licensed car I have.

I guess I would need a professional 12 V video camera and mount it so it had a view of the road and the fuel cap and could record for length for 14 to 16 hours or maybe a cheap web cam to start with.

Engineering news on Phys.org
1. 5.9L/100km looks achievable with some effort in a car like the one you describe.
2. 11L/100km doesn't look right for the fuel economy it is rated for. If this is the car, it is rated for 8: http://www.eurodb.com.au/used-car-Specification/NISSAN/BLUEBIRD/GX/1984/JAE/
3. This is nowhere close to the quality level required for serious discussion here.
4. We've been over this. It didn't fly two years ago and it doesn't fly today. As we told you two years ago, your methodology needs to get a lot better. It is time to stop humoring this.

Locked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is reducing an engines fuel consumption by 85% impossible?

1. Is reducing an engine's fuel consumption by 85% really impossible?

While it may seem like a lofty goal, reducing an engine's fuel consumption by 85% is not impossible. In fact, many researchers and engineers are currently working on developing technologies and techniques to achieve this level of efficiency.

2. How can an engine's fuel consumption be reduced by such a significant amount?

There are several ways that an engine's fuel consumption can be reduced by 85%. These include improving the efficiency of the engine's combustion process, reducing friction and other inefficiencies within the engine, and implementing alternative fuels or energy sources.

3. Are there any real-world examples of engines with significantly reduced fuel consumption?

Yes, there are several examples of engines with significantly reduced fuel consumption. For instance, some hybrid and electric vehicles can achieve fuel efficiency levels that are equivalent to an 85% reduction in fuel consumption compared to traditional gasoline-powered cars.

4. How long will it take for this level of fuel consumption reduction to become a reality?

The timeline for achieving an 85% reduction in engine fuel consumption will vary depending on the specific technology and techniques being used. However, many experts believe that with continued research and development, this goal could be achieved within the next decade or two.

5. Will reducing an engine's fuel consumption by 85% have any negative consequences?

While there may be some challenges and trade-offs associated with achieving such a significant reduction in fuel consumption, the overall benefits, such as reduced emissions and cost savings, are likely to outweigh any potential negative consequences.

Back