Is Randi's million-dollar prize fund really backed by evidence?

• Thread starter Chronos
  • Start date
In summary, Randi received evidence that a $1M paranormal abilities prize fund does not actually exist.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I contacted and received evidence from JREF about the $1,000,000 prize fund for proof of paranormal abilities. I don't have a scanner or I would attach images of the documents. The evidence consists of 2 documents: an account summary issued by Goldman-Sachs and a letter by Naomi Shapiro, Vice President of the GS Mellon Bank Center in Philadelphia. The account is listed under the name of JREF in account number 036-11408-6 . The balance as of 9/30/04 was $1.06M. The letter issued by Ms Shapiro asserts JREF had liquid assets in excess of $1M on deposit with GS as of 3/27/98.

I remember some years back having watched this TV documentary on Randi [probably the Discovery channel since that is what I mainly watch]. They showed takes of actual debunking sessions. Watching these people demonstrate their special abilities was nothing short of... amazing. In fact, it brought tears to my eyes. No doubt most of these people are merely delusional and deserve no more than polite disregard, and possibly some therapy. Some are not so innocuous.

I recall an instance where Randi publicly skewered Sylvia Browne for using her 'powers' to tell this distraught woman her missing daughter had been kidnapped and sold on the white slave market in Japan. The missing girl's corpse turned up not long afterwards. Sending people 'messages' from the dearly departed may seem like harmless amusement. Raising false hopes in matters as horrific as losing a child is, to put it mildly, shameful. Needless to say, Ms Browne has no affection for Randi and has applied her very real power of excuses to duck his challenges to put her other 'powers' to the test. The incredible Uri Geller applied his formidible power of attorneys to the task.

You can make the case that Randi has merely made a name and helped himself to a share of the same pie his famous 'victims' feast upon. And that is certainly true to some extent. On the other hand, ridding the sea of ignorance of these opportunistic predators is a public service. Perhaps some people will more regularly eat, live indoors, and receive proper medical care with the money they are spared being duped out of on the Psychic Hotline.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Chronos. I'll see if I can get a copy posted.

Couldn't agree more. I don't understand why people are worried whether the $1M exists or not. Maybe the real psychics KNOW it didn't exist, and didn't want to bother.
Actually, if some psychic could pass his test, I imagine tons of lawyers would gladly jump into sue if JREF didn't really have the money (for contingency fees, of course). It would be better publicity than actually getting the $1M.

Good thoughts. Of course, one would expect psychics to be able to quickly invest their own way to $1 million by starting out with a modest amount of principal and shifting it from investment to investment, always buying low and selling high--due to their ability to foretell the future. :approve:

Of course the obvious question arises: How do you know that they don't?

1. What is "Randi's million - part II"?

"Randi's million - part II" is a scientific experiment created by magician and skeptic James Randi to test the validity of paranormal claims. The experiment offers a cash prize of one million dollars to anyone who can demonstrate a paranormal ability under controlled conditions.

2. What are the rules of "Randi's million - part II"?

The rules of "Randi's million - part II" are clearly outlined on the James Randi Educational Foundation's website. These rules include submitting a formal application, agreeing to a preliminary test, and successfully completing a controlled test designed by a panel of experts.

3. Has anyone ever won the million dollar prize?

No, as of 2021, no one has successfully demonstrated a paranormal ability and won the million dollar prize in "Randi's million - part II". Several individuals have attempted the test, but none have been able to pass the preliminary or controlled tests.

4. What types of paranormal abilities are tested in "Randi's million - part II"?

Any type of paranormal ability can be tested, as long as it can be demonstrated under controlled conditions and has not been debunked by scientific evidence. Some examples include telekinesis, telepathy, and psychic abilities.

5. Why was "Randi's million - part II" created?

"Randi's million - part II" was created to promote critical thinking and scientific skepticism in regards to paranormal claims. It also serves as a way to challenge those who make extraordinary claims to provide evidence for their abilities.