Is Radiation the Primary Method of Heat Transfer in a Brick Oven?

• Thread starter zoiberg137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    oven Work
In summary: The bricks are giving off radiation to some degree- but the oven still needs a chimney to allow the smoke to escape.
zoiberg137
The question is basically asking what method of heat transfer is MOSTLY responsible for heating a pizza inside of a brick oven.

So from what I understand, the majority of the heat is coming from conduction-through the bricks themselves.

Since the questions states that there is a chimney ABOVE the oven, I figured I could rule out that it is heated at all by convection.

However, isn't some of the heat coming from radiation, even if it is a minimal amount? Also, if the chimney was on the side of the fireplace, instead of the top, then the pizza could potentially be heated by all three methods of heat transfer...Right?

OR...is the primary method of heat transfer radiation? I read on a brick oven webiste that their oven heats by radiation. I don't get how the bricks could be giving off radiation...and not by conduction.

Please help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the heat is conducted through the bricks, where is the oven (the hot bit)?

What would happen to the heat from the oven if there were no chimney?

What would happen to the kitchen is the bricks were as hot on the outside as on the inside of the oven?

If there is no convection, then why does the oven need a chimney?

Well, from what I understand...

Convection is taking place to some degree, however since there is a chimney directly above then it would have to be very minimal. Now if the chimney was on the side of the oven, then convection would be taking a greater part in heating the pizza...though I still don't think it would be the primary heat source.

The oven needs a chimney so that the smoke can escape. Otherwise it would be a hazard to the cooks health as the room would fill up with smoke.

Hmmm...I'm guessing the bricks on the outside do NOT get as hot as on the inside. But why is this? The heat source is the fire. The bricks are responsible for holding heat, which is why the oven stays hot for long periods of time and the fire does not have to stay lit constantly in order for pizza to cook.

Is it the radiation of the fire that is being conducted into the inner layer of bricks? And so the outside of the oven does not get as hot because the radiation does not reach that far?

The more I think about this the more confusing it gets :(

As I understand it, in a traditional brick oven the fire is completely or pretty much out by the time the pizza is put in. Note that the question asks how the pizza is heated, not the bricks.

So...the pizza is heated from the heat that is stored in the bricks...via conduction?

Similar to how the top of a regular stove is still hot 15 minutes after you turned the burner off. The stove top isn't radiating heat...as it is not in itself a heat source. But rather it is transferring heat, via conduction, that it stored from the original heat source, the flame?

Or, how about how the ground still feels warm an hour after the sun sets. It's not radiating heat, as the ground itself is not a heat source. Its not convection, as the ground is not a liquid or a gas. The ground feels warm via conduction of the stored heat that it received via radiation from the sun?

zoiberg137 said:
So...the pizza is heated from the heat that is stored in the bricks...via conduction?
Stored heat, yes, but radiation principally.
Or, how about how the ground still feels warm an hour after the sun sets. It's not radiating heat, as the ground itself is not a heat source.
Anything hot radiates. You notice the same walking near a wall that's been in the afternoon sun. That can't be convection or conduction.

Related to Is Radiation the Primary Method of Heat Transfer in a Brick Oven?

1. How does a brick oven get hot?

A brick oven gets hot through a process called thermal conduction. The bricks are heated by the fire inside the oven and they transfer that heat to the food through direct contact. This allows the oven to reach high temperatures quickly and evenly.

2. Why are brick ovens considered better for cooking compared to other types of ovens?

Brick ovens are considered better for cooking because they have the ability to reach high temperatures (up to 900°F) and distribute heat evenly. This allows for faster cooking times and a more consistent and flavorful result.

3. How does the shape of a brick oven affect its cooking abilities?

The dome shape of a brick oven plays a crucial role in its cooking abilities. The curved shape allows for the heat to circulate evenly, ensuring that the food is cooked thoroughly and evenly. It also helps trap moisture inside the oven, keeping the food moist and preventing it from drying out.

4. How does a brick oven retain heat for a longer period of time?

Brick ovens are made of refractory materials, such as clay and firebricks, that have a high heat retention capacity. This means that once the oven is heated, it can retain that heat for a longer period of time compared to other types of ovens. The thick walls of the oven also help in trapping the heat inside.

5. How does a brick oven produce crispy crusts on bread and pizza?

The high temperatures and even heat distribution in a brick oven help create the perfect conditions for producing crispy crusts on bread and pizza. The intense heat causes the moisture in the dough to evaporate quickly, creating steam which gives the crust its crispy texture. The even heat distribution ensures that the crust is cooked evenly on all sides.