Is R^+ a Vector Space with Non-Standard Operations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the operations of scalar multiplication and addition on the set of positive real numbers. It also poses a question on whether this set, with these operations, can be considered a vector space. The conversation also includes clarifications on symbols and a request for help in proving the answer to the question.
mpm
I have a homework problem that I can't figure out and there is nothing in the book that helps me out. I was hoping someone could shed some light.

Let R^+ denote the set of postive real numbers. Define the operation of scalar muplication, denoted * (dot) by,

a*x = x^a

for each X (episilon) R^+ and for any real number a. Define the operation of addition, denoted +, by

x + y = x * y for all x, y (Epsilon)R^+

Thus for this system teh scalar product of -3 times 1/2 is given by

- 3 * 1/2 = (1/2)^-3 = 8

and the sume of 2 and 5 is given by

2 + 5 = 2 * 5 = 10

Is R^+ a vector space with these operations? Prove your answer.

The plus should be a plus with a circle around it but I couldn't figure out how to put it in there. I am also not sure how to make the epsilon either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mpm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is an epsilon ([itex]\epsilon[/itex]), you're looking for a different symbol, the "is a member or element of" relation ([itex]\in[/itex]). So you have:

[tex](\mathbb{R}^+, \oplus, \otimes)[/tex]

with the following definitions, for all x, y in R+ and all scalars (reals) [itex]\lambda[/itex]:

[tex]x \oplus y = x \times y[/tex]

[tex]\lambda \otimes x = x^{\lambda}[/tex]

Do you know the definition of a vector space? Basically, all you have to do is check that the operations are well-defined, and then show that they satisfy all the properties (like commutativity of addition, associativity of scalar multiplication, existence of identities, etc.).

I understand your frustration with not being able to solve a homework problem. However, I am unable to provide a direct response to your question as it is important for you to work through the problem and understand the concepts on your own.

However, I can offer some guidance and suggestions to help you solve this problem. Firstly, it is important to understand the definitions of a vector space and its operations. A vector space is a set of elements that can be added and multiplied by scalars to produce new elements within the set. In this case, R^+ is the set of positive real numbers and the operations defined are scalar multiplication and addition.

To prove whether R^+ is a vector space with these operations, you need to show that it satisfies the 10 axioms (properties) of a vector space. These axioms include properties such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity, commutativity, and distributivity. You can refer to your textbook or other resources for a detailed explanation of these axioms.

To start, you can check if R^+ satisfies the closure property under addition and scalar multiplication. This means that when you add or multiply two elements from R^+, the result should also be an element of R^+. In this case, for any x and y in R^+, x + y and a*x should also be in R^+.

Next, you can check the other axioms to see if they hold true for R^+. If any of the axioms do not hold true, then R^+ is not a vector space with the given operations. If all 10 axioms are satisfied, then you can conclude that R^+ is a vector space with these operations.

I hope this helps guide you in solving the problem. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to approach problems critically and logically, using your knowledge and resources to arrive at a solution. Good luck!

Related to Is R^+ a Vector Space with Non-Standard Operations?

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical concept that represents a collection of objects, called vectors, that can be added together and multiplied by numbers. It is used to model mathematical systems and real-world phenomena such as forces, velocities, and electric fields.

2. What are the properties of a vector space?

A vector space must have two operations, addition and scalar multiplication, that satisfy certain properties. These properties include closure, associativity, commutativity, existence of an identity element, existence of inverse elements, and distributivity.

3. How is a vector space different from a scalar space?

In a scalar space, operations such as addition and multiplication are defined on individual numbers. In a vector space, these operations are defined on vectors, which are collections of numbers. Additionally, a vector space has more properties, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication, that a scalar space does not have.

4. What are some examples of vector spaces?

Examples of vector spaces include the set of all 2-dimensional vectors, the set of all polynomials of degree n, and the set of all real-valued functions. These spaces have different operations and properties, but they all follow the general rules of vector spaces.

5. How are vector spaces used in science?

Vector spaces are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model and analyze physical systems, such as forces and motion, and to solve problems in fields like machine learning and data analysis. They also provide a powerful mathematical framework for understanding and solving complex problems.