Is Quantum World weird because we can 'see' higher dimensions?

In summary, this person is trying to explain how quantum events may exist on the very small scale, and how this may effect our understanding of the universe on a larger scale. They go on to say that conventional wisdom dictates that these higher dimensions exist but are very small, but they are going in the opposite direction and suggesting that these dimensions may be very large. They also mention that if this is the wrong forum, they apologize and that their explanation of quantum mechanics is just an ad-hoc explanation.
hankaaron
Let me try to explain. If I take a reel of movie film, I can unwrap it see different frames simultaneously. How ever if I were "trapped" in the movie I could only experience one frame at a time.

Now this example is not a direct proposition I am making. It''s just to imagine a higher dimensional plane.

My proposition is to ponder if quantum events exist on the very small scale because at those small scales we can interact/observe higher dimensions that actually exist. We can do so because we are outside of higher dimensions quantum scale matter exists within.

Since we can't really understand the real physical properties of the higher dimension, to us its effects would be really odd. Just as it would for someone in a supposedly 2-D universe experiencing a third dimensional property.

But at larger scales we are enveloped inside the matter's higher dimension so that it appears normal, but at smaller scales the higher dimensions are observable, but their effects appear abnormal.

The conventional wisdom that the higher dimensions exist but these dimensions are extremely small. I'm going the opposite direction and suggesting that these higher dimensions may be very, very large.

If this is the wrong forum I apologize ahead.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's just an ad-hoc explanation of any weirdness we might encounter... I don't see what makes this explanation unique to QM, or preferable to any other ad-hoc explanation - for example "maybe we're inside the matrix" or "maybe God is toying with us" holds the same merit as an explanation for general weirdness in the universe - or am I missing something?

Why not claim that we're seeing interaction with these dimensions on the very large scale, and it is negligible for small scale - and explain the Cosmological Constant?
Maybe there are special extra dimensions we see only on small scales, and other extra dimensions we see only on large scales?
Isn't that convenient? Can it predict anything new? Nope... Science ends here.

Last edited:
Closed, pending moderation.

Zz.

Related to Is Quantum World weird because we can 'see' higher dimensions?

1. What are higher dimensions?

Higher dimensions refer to theoretical spatial dimensions beyond the three dimensions that are commonly observed in our everyday environment. These dimensions are often described as being "curled up" or "hidden" from our perception.

2. How do we "see" higher dimensions?

We do not have the ability to directly see or perceive higher dimensions with our senses. Instead, we can infer their existence through mathematical models and experiments in fields such as quantum mechanics and string theory.

3. Why is the quantum world considered weird?

The quantum world is considered weird because it operates according to principles that are different from those we observe in our macroscopic world. For example, particles can exist in multiple states at the same time and can exhibit behaviors such as entanglement and superposition.

4. How does the concept of higher dimensions relate to the quantum world?

The concept of higher dimensions is often used in theoretical models to explain the strange phenomena observed in the quantum world. These extra dimensions provide a framework for understanding how particles can exist in multiple states and interact with each other in seemingly non-intuitive ways.

5. Is it possible for humans to ever fully understand and "see" higher dimensions?

It is currently unknown whether humans will ever have the ability to fully understand and "see" higher dimensions. As our understanding of the quantum world and theoretical physics continues to evolve, we may gain more insight into these dimensions, but it is possible that they will remain beyond our perception.