Is quantum chemistry more theory heavy compared to chemical engineering?

In summary, the conversation centers around the topic of quantum mechanics and its relation to a chemical engineering major's curriculum. The OP is trying to decide between taking a quantum mechanics course or a quantum chemistry course. The group discusses the theory-heavy nature of quantum mechanics and the prerequisites for quantum chemistry. They also mention the varying topics that can be covered in a quantum chemistry course and the importance of a good instructor. The conversation ends with the OP deciding to take the quantum mechanics course and asking for the book recommendation.
vincent_vega
I'm a chemical engineering major and I have to take one of these. Is QM more theory heavy or are they about the same in that regard? I am leaning more towards QM. my only exposure so far has been with the "modern physics" part of general physics

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats the quantum chemistry course cover? Those can vary a lot from pure quantum, to computational chem, to spectroscopy, etc, etc.

Most likely though, regardless, my answer would be the same. If youve only taken modern physics take the quantum mechanics course.

OP, I find it confusing that you have this choice. Quantum chemistry should usually require that you already have a solid understanding of quantum mechanics as prerequisite. It is an advanced topic dealing with many-body quantum mechanics, and how this can be made to work in realistic systems.

cgk said:
OP, I find it confusing that you have this choice. Quantum chemistry should usually require that you already have a solid understanding of quantum mechanics as prerequisite. It is an advanced topic dealing with many-body quantum mechanics, and how this can be made to work in realistic systems.

The class is physical chemistry but I hear everyone refer to it as quantum chemistry, my bad. The first semester of pchem deals with quantum mechanics. Not sure how it compares with the physics version.

vincent_vega said:
The class is physical chemistry but I hear everyone refer to it as quantum chemistry, my bad. The first semester of pchem deals with quantum mechanics. Not sure how it compares with the physics version.
The way its taught will depend amazingly on the instructor.

Do you know what book they use? Now that I know its p chem, I'd more heavily lean towards taking quantum mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is quantum chemistry more theory heavy compared to chemical engineering?

1. What is quantum chemistry?

Quantum chemistry is a branch of chemistry and physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It uses the principles of quantum mechanics to understand the structure, properties, and behavior of molecules and atoms.

2. What is the difference between classical and quantum chemistry?

Classical chemistry studies the behavior of particles at the macroscopic level, while quantum chemistry studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Classical chemistry uses classical mechanics to explain the behavior of particles, while quantum chemistry uses quantum mechanics.

3. How does quantum chemistry help in drug design?

Quantum chemistry helps in drug design by providing insights into the interactions between drugs and their target molecules at the atomic level. This allows for more precise and efficient drug design, leading to the development of more effective and safer drugs.

4. Can quantum chemistry be used for materials design?

Yes, quantum chemistry can be used for materials design. It helps in understanding the structure and properties of materials at the atomic level, which is crucial for developing new materials with desired properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum chemistry?

Some real-world applications of quantum chemistry include drug design, materials design, understanding chemical reactions, predicting molecular properties, and developing new technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.