Is Principles of Physics by Halliday and Resnick Suitable for IPhO Preparation?

In summary, Halliday and Resnick's textbook "Principles of physics" is a good book that is not specifically designed to help you with the International Physics Olympiad (IPHO). However, the IPO site does have a questions and answers section that may help.
ubergewehr273
Is Resnick Halliday's textbook "Principles of physics" a good book ?
Is it useful for olympiads like IPhO (International Physics Olympiad) ?
It would be good if somebody could give a review on the book ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Halliday and Resnick is a good book used for many years for freshman level physics in college. It's not designed specifically to help you with the IPO style of problems.

However, the IPO site does have a questions and answers section that may help:

http://ipho.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/problems-and-solutions.html

Perhaps others can provide better discussion on the Halliday book as I last used it in the 1980's and has gone thru a lot of revisions and extensions over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gads ... it's been about 50 years since I took undergrad physics and we used Halliday and Resnick back then. Must be decent to have that kind of staying power.

Halliday and Resnick, Fundamentals of Physics came out at a time when a standard was needed for teaching modern physics to college students. It became the Gold standard. I liked it a lot when I had to study it even though our Physics dept chose another text for freshman use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentals_of_Physics

Resnick taught at RPI during the time he co-wrote the book with Halliday and it was my impression that RPI got some royalties from the book though I have no reference for that. However, I am sure the publisher has made out very well.

Also now that Halliday and Resnick have passed on, Jearl Walker of Scientific American fame is the editor of the series which is still going strong.

That reminds me Christmas is coming maybe Santa will bring one along...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1118230728/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Related to Is Principles of Physics by Halliday and Resnick Suitable for IPhO Preparation?

1. What is the "Halliday and Resnick Textbook"?

The "Halliday and Resnick Textbook" is a popular physics textbook written by David Halliday and Robert Resnick. It is widely used in universities and colleges as a comprehensive guide to introductory physics concepts.

2. What topics does the textbook cover?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics in classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and modern physics. It also includes discussions on mathematical tools and techniques used in physics, such as calculus and vector analysis.

3. Is the textbook suitable for beginners?

Yes, the "Halliday and Resnick Textbook" is designed for students with little or no background in physics. It provides a clear and accessible introduction to fundamental concepts, making it suitable for beginners.

4. Are there practice problems and solutions included in the textbook?

Yes, the textbook includes numerous practice problems at the end of each chapter, with solutions provided in an accompanying solutions manual. These problems are designed to help students reinforce their understanding of the material and prepare for exams.

5. Is the textbook up-to-date with the latest scientific discoveries?

The latest edition of the "Halliday and Resnick Textbook" includes updates and revisions to reflect the most current scientific understanding. However, as with any textbook, it may not cover the very latest discoveries in the field of physics.