Is Pluto's Axis of Rotation Almost Perpendicular to Its Orbit?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbital
In summary, Pluto's poles are at an angle of 122 degrees relative to its orbit, causing its polar axis to be 32 degrees below its orbital plane. When taking into account the angle of its orbit compared to the axis of the solar system, the angle of Pluto's polar axis is closer to 139 degrees. However, due to the ambiguity of language and the uncertainty of Pluto's orbit, it is also possible that the angle could be closer to 105 degrees. Therefore, it can be said that Pluto's axis of rotation is "almost perpendicular" to its orbit, but the exact angle may vary.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I read in several places (including thenineplanets.org) that Pluto's poles are "almost perpendicular to its orbit". But the actual number I see is 122 degrees. So its polar axis is actually 32 degrees below its plane, right? (meaning that Earth sees the North pole of Pluto in its Southern limb) .

Add that to the plane of its orbit, and we get an angle of Pluto's polar axis compared to the axis of the solar system of more like 139 degrees.

Am I right?

And isn't it a bit inaccurate to say its axis of rotation is almost perpendicular to its orbit?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Perhaps the first issue would be that pluto's orbit is very slow (the pioneer analomaly people would love to have recorded far more of pluto's motion), so it's necessary to distinguish statements about pluto "right now" from statements about pluto's "complete orbit".

Note the language is slightly ambiguous: At some point in it's orbit, it seems the Pluto's rotation axis will (in context) be exceptionally near parallel to orbital velocity, while Earth's polar axis is always "almost perpendicular" to its orbital plane and orbital velocity.

Compared to other planets (the plane of Earth's rotation is so well aligned with the plane of Earth's orbit, you'd attribute it to solar system formation rather than coincidence), I think it is indeed reasonable to point out that those two planes are comparatively very perpendicular in the case of pluto.

That and astronomers know how to do proper uncertainties/statistics (often with small data sets: eg. 8 planets), and they're very accustomed to only expecting order-of-magnitude-ish precision.

Depending on which way the orbit is tilted relative to the polar axis, you might want to subtract the two instead of adding them. So it could be 122+17=139 degrees like you said, or 122-17=105 degrees, or any answer inbetween 139 or 105. "Almost" is a subjective term. I guess 105 would be "almost perpendicular".

tony873004 said:
Depending on which way the orbit is tilted relative to the polar axis, you might want to subtract the two instead of adding them. So it could be 122+17=139 degrees like you said, or 122-17=105 degrees, or any answer inbetween 139 or 105. "Almost" is a subjective term. I guess 105 would be "almost perpendicular".

I don't think this is so.* See attachment.

*(I can't be sure. I think I'm simplifying the number of planes.)

Attachments

• angle.gif
    angle.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:

Related to Is Pluto's Axis of Rotation Almost Perpendicular to Its Orbit?

What is Pluto's orbital inclination?

Pluto's orbital inclination is the angle at which its orbit is tilted in relation to the plane of the solar system.

How does Pluto's orbital inclination compare to other planets in the solar system?

Pluto's orbital inclination is significantly different from the orbital inclinations of the eight major planets in the solar system. It has the highest orbital inclination at 17.14 degrees, while most of the other planets have inclinations less than 7 degrees.

What causes Pluto's orbital inclination?

Pluto's orbital inclination is thought to be caused by the gravitational influence of Neptune. As Pluto and Neptune interact, their orbits can become more inclined relative to each other.

How does Pluto's orbital inclination affect its seasons?

Pluto's orbital inclination has a significant impact on its seasons. Due to its high inclination, Pluto experiences extreme seasonal variations. During its 248-year orbit around the sun, there are times when one pole is continuously in sunlight, while the other pole is in complete darkness.

Can Pluto's orbital inclination change over time?

Yes, Pluto's orbital inclination can change over time due to the gravitational influence of other planets and celestial bodies. However, these changes occur very slowly and are not significant in the short term.