Is partial trace still cyclic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of partial trace and its relationship to cyclic trace. The definition of partial trace and its application in calculating reduced density matrices are explained, and a question is posed on how to prove a specific property of partial trace.
jenga42
Hello,

I know trace is usually cyclic, but is partial trace cyclic too? Why?

Thanks!

Jenga

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok... so I know that it isn't cyclic now ... just by picking a random example, but if anyone knows the reason why it's not cyclic, and has a general proof as to why it's not, I'd be very grateful to hear it!

Thanks.

What's the definition of a partial trace?

Normal trace is equivalent to the sum of the eigenvalues (or diagonal elements) of a matrix. Partial trace acts only on part of the system, so for a density matrix.. say it's a pure state but entangled,

[tex]\rho_{AB}=\frac{1}{2}(|01\rangle +|10\rangle )(\langle 01|+\langle 10 |)[/tex]

The partial trace over subsystem B gives the reduced density matrix [tex]\rho_A[/tex], so [tex]Tr_B(\rho_{AB})=\rho_A[/tex]

So

[tex]\rho_A=_B\langle 0 |\rho_{AB}|0\rangle_B +_B\langle 1 |\rho_{AB}|1\rangle_B[/tex]
[tex]\rho_A=|1\rangle \langle 1 | + |0\rangle \langle 0 | [/tex]

My question is how do I prove that

[tex]Tr_B (\rho \sigma) = Tr_B (\sigma \rho)[/tex]

where [tex]\rho[/tex] and [tex]\sigma[/tex] are both density matrices of a system AB.

Thanks!

Related to Is partial trace still cyclic?

1. What is partial trace?

Partial trace is a mathematical operation used in quantum mechanics to calculate the reduced state of a subsystem in a larger quantum system. It involves tracing out the degrees of freedom of the subsystem in order to obtain a reduced density matrix.

2. Why is partial trace important?

Partial trace is important because it allows us to study the properties of a subsystem in a larger quantum system without having to consider the entire system. This is useful in many applications, such as quantum information theory and quantum computation.

3. Is partial trace still cyclic?

Yes, partial trace is still cyclic. This means that the order in which we perform partial traces on a composite system does not affect the final result. It is a fundamental property of the partial trace operation.

4. What does it mean for partial trace to be cyclic?

For partial trace to be cyclic means that if we have a composite system made up of subsystems A and B, and we trace out subsystem A first and then subsystem B, or vice versa, we will end up with the same reduced density matrix. This property is crucial in many applications of partial trace.

5. Are there any exceptions to the cyclic property of partial trace?

Yes, there can be exceptions to the cyclic property of partial trace in certain cases. For example, if the subsystems are entangled, the order of tracing may affect the final result. However, in most cases, partial trace is still a cyclic operation.