Is "Pair Production" a creation event?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of creation in physics and whether it refers to conversion or something arising from nothing. The example of pair production is discussed, where massless particles are converted into massive particles. The opponent argues that this is an example of conversion, while the speaker argues that it is still a form of creation. Ultimately, the disagreement is attributed to a difference in the definition of the word "creation" and can only be resolved by agreeing on a common definition.
momo666
Okay, please forgive what seems to be a religious debate cause I assure you it is not. I am merely seeking your opinion on an exchange.

Now, I said that pair production is an "example of creation that requires no conscious act". To this example my opponent said the following:

“Matter creation is the process inverse to particle annihilation. It is the COVERSION of massless particles into one or more massive particles. This process is the time reversal of annihilation. Since all known massless particles are bosons and the most familiar massive particles are fermions, usually what is considered is the process which converts two bosons (e.g. photons) into two fermions (e.g., an electron–positron pair). This process is known as pair production”
"It is a natural occurrence, it can’t occur unless the conditions are right, and it works on Energy conservation laws as well as momentum conservation laws. "
" It can’t occur in empty space, it can’t occur when the conditions are provided."

He argues that this is an example of a conversion of energy to matter (even though I've already been explained here that energy is not a thing but a property, bear with me ). But isn't that the case everywhere? Things merely change shape, they don't just appear out of "nothing".

Are there other types of "creation" events in physics? As far as I remember all of them refer to some sort of conversion.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a scientific topic. It is just a semantic argument about the definition of the word "creation". Your definition allows creation from something his definition requires creation from nothing.

This cannot be resolved by science. It can only be resolved by agreement to use the same dictionary.

Thread closed.

Likes Evo

Related to Is "Pair Production" a creation event?

1. What is "Pair Production"?

"Pair Production" is a process in which a subatomic particle interacts with a photon, creating a pair of particles with equal mass and opposite charge, such as an electron and a positron.

2. How does "Pair Production" relate to creation?

"Pair Production" is not a creation event in the traditional sense. It is a phenomenon that occurs in the quantum world and is governed by the laws of physics. Some religious interpretations may consider it a form of creation, but it is not a scientifically supported concept.

3. Can "Pair Production" be observed?

Yes, "Pair Production" has been observed and documented in numerous experiments, particularly in high-energy particle collisions. However, it is a rare occurrence and can only be observed under specific conditions.

4. Is "Pair Production" a natural process?

Yes, "Pair Production" is a natural process that occurs in the quantum world. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. Can "Pair Production" be used for practical purposes?

While "Pair Production" itself may not have practical applications, the particles produced through this process, such as positrons, can be used in various technologies, including medical imaging and cancer treatment.