Is $p$ irreducible in $\Bbb Z[(-1 + i\sqrt{3})/2]$ if $p \equiv 2\pmod{3}$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, a number is considered irreducible in mathematics if it cannot be expressed as the product of two or more smaller numbers. The congruence condition, in this case $p \equiv 2\pmod{3}$, is important because it indicates unique properties of the given ring, $\Bbb Z[(-1 + i\sqrt{3})/2]$. This ring is a Gaussian integer ring and has unique properties that make it useful for studying prime numbers and their factorization. The number $p$ is related to this ring as it is said to be irreducible in it if it cannot be factored into smaller numbers. The irreducibility of $p$ in this ring can be proven using mathematical techniques
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $p$ be a prime integer. Prove $p$ is irreducible in $\Bbb Z[(-1 + i\sqrt{3})/2]$ if and only if $p \equiv 2\pmod{3}$.
-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.
Let $d = (-1 + i\sqrt{3})/2$. The isomorphism $$\Bbb Z[d]/p\Bbb Z[d] \approx (\Bbb Z/p\Bbb Z)[x]/\langle x^2 + x + 1 \rangle$$ induced by the ring morphism $f : \Bbb Z[d] \to (\Bbb Z/p\Bbb Z)[x]/\langle x^2 + x + 1\rangle$, $f(a + bd) = [a]_p + _px + \langle x^2 + x + 1\rangle$ shows that $p$ is irreducible in $\Bbb Z[d]$ if and only if $x^2 + x + 1$ is irreducible in $(\Bbb Z/p\Bbb Z)[x]$. Indeed, since $\Bbb Z[d]$ is a PID, $p$ is irreducible in $\Bbb Z[d]$ if and only if $p\Bbb Z[d]$ is maximal in $\Bbb Z[p]$, which occurs if and only if $\Bbb Z[d]/p\Bbb Z[d]$ is a field. The isomorphism above then gives the desired equivalence.

Now it suffices to show that $x^2 + x + 1$ is irreducible in $\Bbb Z/p\Bbb Z[x]$ if and only if $p \equiv 2\pmod{3}$. The result is clear when $p = 2$, and over $\Bbb Z_3$, $x^2 + x + 1 = x^2 - 2x + 1 = (x - 1)^2$ is reducible. Now consider $p > 3$. We show that $x^2 + x + 1$ is reducible in $\Bbb Z/p\Bbb Z[x]$ if and only if $p \equiv 1\pmod{3}$. Due to the factorization $x^3 - 1 = (x - 1)(x^2 + x + 1)$ and the fact that $[1]_p$ is not a zero of $x^2 + x + 1$ when $p > 3$, we have that $x^2 + x + 1$ is reducible over $\Bbb Z/p\Bbb Z$ if and only if it has a zero of $x^3 - 1$ that is not equal to $[1]_p$. But then the zeros of $x^2 + x + 1$ give elements of order $3$ in $(\Bbb Z/p\Bbb Z)^*$, which occurs if and only if $3\, |\, (p - 1)$, i.e., $p \equiv 1\pmod{3}$.

Related to Is $p$ irreducible in $\Bbb Z[(-1 + i\sqrt{3})/2]$ if $p \equiv 2\pmod{3}$?

1. What does it mean for a number to be irreducible?

In mathematics, a number is considered irreducible if it cannot be expressed as the product of two or more smaller numbers. This means that it is a prime number or cannot be factored further into smaller prime numbers.

2. Why does the congruence condition matter in this question?

The congruence condition, in this case $p \equiv 2\pmod{3}$, indicates that the number $p$ leaves a remainder of 2 when divided by 3. This is important because the given ring, $\Bbb Z[(-1 + i\sqrt{3})/2]$, has unique properties that only apply to numbers with this specific congruence.

3. What is the significance of the ring $\Bbb Z[(-1 + i\sqrt{3})/2]$ in this question?

The ring $\Bbb Z[(-1 + i\sqrt{3})/2]$ is a special type of ring called a Gaussian integer ring. It includes all numbers of the form $a + bi\sqrt{3}$, where $a$ and $b$ are integers. This ring has unique properties that make it useful for studying prime numbers and their factorization.

4. How is the number $p$ related to the ring $\Bbb Z[(-1 + i\sqrt{3})/2]$?

The number $p$ is said to be irreducible in the ring $\Bbb Z[(-1 + i\sqrt{3})/2]$ if it cannot be factored into smaller numbers within this ring. This means that $p$ cannot be expressed as the product of two Gaussian integers ($a + bi\sqrt{3}$) within this ring.

5. Can the irreducibility of $p$ in the ring $\Bbb Z[(-1 + i\sqrt{3})/2]$ be proven?

Yes, the irreducibility of $p$ in the ring $\Bbb Z[(-1 + i\sqrt{3})/2]$ can be proven using various mathematical techniques and properties of Gaussian integer rings. These proofs often involve factoring the number $p$ and showing that it cannot be expressed as the product of two Gaussian integers within this ring.