Is Option 2 the Only Subset of P(C) in This List?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about subsets in the context of Discrete Mathematics. The question asks which one of the given options is a subset of P(C). The group disagrees about the correct answer, as some believe it should be {{a,b}} while others argue it should be {a,b}. The conversation also touches on the definition of P(set) and how to construct subsets of P(C) from that definition. The original post also mentions that it is the first exposure to Discrete Mathematics and asks for help and feedback.
Horizyn
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. Doing a CS degree and started a Theoretical Computer Science I module beginning second semester.

Need to hand in an assignment at the end of this month.

I've answered all the questions so far, except one I'm unsure about.

I'd appreciate your help and feedback on this one.

The question follows:

Which one of the following is a subset of P(C)?

1. {{1,2}}
2. {{a,b}}
3. {a,b}
4. {{a},{1,2}}

The question is based on the following sets, where U represents a universal set:

U={a,b, {a,b},{1},{2},{1,2}}; C={a,b,{a,b},{1,2}}

It doesn't make sense to me, since I've figured that 1,2 & 3 are all subsets of P(C). I'm not sure if the question is asking for more than one choice, even though it says which ''one'' of the following. If it asked which one of the following is ''not'' a subset of P(C), it would make more sense as it would have been option 4.

This is the first time I've been exposed to Discrete Mathematics, so excuse me if things aren't too obvious for me.

Thanks guys!

Correction: Changed - U={a,b {a,b},{1},{2},{1,2}} to U={a,b,{a,b},{1},{2},{1,2}}

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. It looks like the word "not" is missing from the question.

Usually the hint is "Back to the definition."

Exactly what is the precise definition of P(set)?

And then can you, because C is small enough, construct P(C) from that definition and then produce all the subsets of P(C)?

Last edited:
However, you are mistaken in thinking that {a, b} is a subset of P(C).

HallsofIvy said:
However, you are mistaken in thinking that {a, b} is a subset of P(C).

{a,b} certainly is a subset of P(C) since a and b are subsets of C.

We were told in the original post that C={a,b,{a,b},{1,2}}.

a and b are NOT subsets of that set.

I had to read over power sets again, but it turns out you're right, Halls. In fact, the question by the OP isn't posed incorrectly at all. Given

C = { a, b, {a,b}, {1,2} }

then

P(C) = { {}, {a}, {b}, {a,b}, {{a,b}}, {{1,2}}, ... }

Notice {a,b} is the collection of a and b from C, while {{a,b}} is the collection of {a,b} from C.

GIven the question

Which one of the following is a subset of P(C)?

1. {{1,2}}
2. {{a,b}}
3. {a,b}
4. {{a},{1,2}}

Looking at 1. that is the set that contains the element {1,2}, but P(C) doesn't contain {1,2}, it contains {{1,2}}.
Simiarly for the rest, so the answer is 2.

Related to Is Option 2 the Only Subset of P(C) in This List?

1. What is a CS assignment question?

A CS (Computer Science) assignment question is a problem or task that requires the application of programming and/or computational concepts. It is typically given to students as a part of their coursework or as a means of evaluating their understanding of a particular topic in computer science.

2. How do I approach a CS assignment question?

The best way to approach a CS assignment question is to first understand the problem statement. Break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts and use your knowledge of programming and computational thinking to come up with a solution. It is also helpful to refer to relevant resources and consult with others, such as classmates or instructors, for guidance.

3. What should I do if I am stuck on a CS assignment question?

If you are stuck on a CS assignment question, do not panic. Take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller parts and tackling them individually. Seeking help from classmates, instructors, or online resources can also be beneficial.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for CS assignment questions?

To improve your problem-solving skills for CS assignment questions, practice regularly and challenge yourself with different types of problems. Learn different programming languages and techniques, and try to apply them to real-world scenarios. Analyzing and understanding the solutions to previously solved problems can also help in developing your problem-solving skills.

5. How can I avoid plagiarism when seeking help on a CS assignment question?

To avoid plagiarism when seeking help on a CS assignment question, make sure to give credit to any sources that you use. This includes referencing code snippets, ideas, or concepts from online resources or classmates. It is also important to understand and follow the guidelines and policies set by your institution regarding academic honesty and plagiarism.