Is ommiting precalc and geomtry good for a school to be doing?

In summary: However, it is worth questioning whether the content of these courses with the same name are the same at different colleges. This could potentially affect students' understanding and preparation for calculus. In summary, there are a few 2 year colleges that offer different paths to calculus, with some omitting geometry and precalculus from their curriculum. This may make it difficult for students to do well in calculus. While it is important to consider the content of these courses, it is worth questioning if the courses with the same name at different colleges have the same content.
Jurrasic
There are a few 2 year colleges around, anyways, one of them never offers geometry or trig, they just want students to go straight from trig to calculus, but all the other 2 year colleges offer, geometry then college algebra, then trig, then precalc. then calc.
What concepts are probably being omitted by the one school, by offering only college algebra, then trig then straight to calculus? They don't offer geometry or calculus at their school. And doesn't this make is difficult for anyone to do well in calculus this way? This is at a 2 year college.
All of the other 2 year colleges have students take geometry, and precalculus along with all the other classes to be taken before trig, so what gives?

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely it depends on what's in the courses, not what they are called. Are you sure that the content of the courses with the same name are the same at different colleges?

Besides, I would say that neither geometry nor precalculus are necessary requirements for calculus. Those tend to be in the curriculum for high schools that I have seen. I haven't actually seen a college offering Precalc. Heck, the only use trig serves is familiarity with the trig functions. That said, I think each plays a fundamental role in adding tools to any mathematician's toolbox.

Jurrasic said:
There are a few 2 year colleges around, anyways, one of them never offers geometry or trig, they just want students to go straight from trig to calculus, but all the other 2 year colleges offer, geometry then college algebra, then trig, then precalc. then calc.
What concepts are probably being omitted by the one school, by offering only college algebra, then trig then straight to calculus? They don't offer geometry or calculus at their school. And doesn't this make is difficult for anyone to do well in calculus this way? This is at a 2 year college.
All of the other 2 year colleges have students take geometry, and precalculus along with all the other classes to be taken before trig, so what gives?

If you end up really understanding calculus, then you will easily understand the specific circumstances that yield the results you find in pre-calc and lower end classes.

I am currently attending a two year college, and I've seen nothing about geometry or pre-calc.

I started with basic Algebra, worked into college level Algebra, and am just now finishing up my trig class. Next semester I move straight into Calculus.

I think that most of the pre-calculus topics were thrown in at the end of trig and algebra.

I attended a community college before the university, and there was a huge gap between when I was out of high school and when I started college so I wanted to redo a great deal of math. I took Intermediate-Alg, College-Alg, and then Precalc and Trig at the same time, before starting Calculus and so on..

I can fully understand why it is a a rather pointless class. I remember it was basically a re-cap of Log, Functions, Conics and a brief introduction to some calculus topics like limits and the difference quotient. I rather enjoyed trig though, even though much of what I learned in that class I have yet to use.

QuarkCharmer said:
I attended a community college before the university, and there was a huge gap between when I was out of high school and when I started college so I wanted to redo a great deal of math. I took Intermediate-Alg, College-Alg, and then Precalc and Trig at the same time, before starting Calculus and so on..

I can fully understand why it is a a rather pointless class. I remember it was basically a re-cap of Log, Functions, Conics and a brief introduction to some calculus topics like limits and the difference quotient. I rather enjoyed trig though, even though much of what I learned in that class I have yet to use.

"I can fully understand why it is a a rather pointless class."
Are you referring to Pre-calc being pointless, or which one?

cristo said:
Surely it depends on what's in the courses, not what they are called. Are you sure that the content of the courses with the same name are the same at different colleges?

True

Related to Is ommiting precalc and geomtry good for a school to be doing?

1. Should a school omit precalculus and geometry from their curriculum?

It depends on the goals and objectives of the school. If the school's focus is on preparing students for careers in fields that do not require advanced math skills, then omitting precalculus and geometry may be a reasonable decision. However, if the school aims to provide a well-rounded education for all students, then omitting these courses may not be beneficial.

2. Will omitting precalculus and geometry affect students' college admissions?

It is possible that omitting precalculus and geometry from a school's curriculum may negatively impact students' college admissions. Many colleges and universities have math requirements for admission, and not having exposure to these courses may put students at a disadvantage. Additionally, omitting these courses may signal to colleges that the school does not prioritize a strong math education.

3. Can students still learn precalculus and geometry on their own?

Yes, students can certainly learn precalculus and geometry outside of school. However, this requires a significant amount of self-motivation and discipline. It may also be difficult for students to fully grasp complex mathematical concepts without the guidance of a teacher.

4. Are there alternative math courses that can replace precalculus and geometry?

There are some alternative math courses that cover similar topics to precalculus and geometry, such as statistics or computer science. However, these courses may not provide the same depth and breadth of knowledge as traditional precalculus and geometry courses. It is important for schools to carefully consider the trade-offs of omitting these foundational math courses.

5. How will omitting precalculus and geometry impact students in the long run?

Omitting precalculus and geometry may limit students' future academic and career opportunities. These courses provide important problem-solving and critical thinking skills that are applicable in a variety of fields. Additionally, not having a strong foundation in these subjects may make it more difficult for students to succeed in higher level math courses in the future.