Is Normalizing Oxygen Concentrations in a Channel Accurate?

• Thread starter howtophysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial
In summary, the partial pressure of oxygen in water saturated with air is equal to the partial pressure of oxygen in the surrounding air. When measuring the partial pressure of oxygen along the bottom of a channel where cells are consuming oxygen, the values will decrease over the length of the channel. By normalizing these values against the inlet concentration, and using a model to calculate absolute oxygen concentrations, the resulting normalized graphs should be the same as long as there are no other changes in temperature or pressure. This applies to both cases describing the same system under the same conditions.
howtophysics
Tell me if this line of reasoning is correct:

The partial pressure (PP) of oxygen in water which is saturated with air is the same as the partial pressure of the oxygen in the air around the water. Now, if I have a channel where cells are consuming oxygen, the PP is going to be going down over the length of the channel. Now, let's say I am measuring the partial pressure of the oxygen along the bottom of the channel (where the cells are) and I normalize these values against the inlet (saturated PP concentration) -- now let's say I have a model which gives me oxygen concentrations in terms of absolute concentrations along the bottom of the same channel (i.e. in mol/m^3) - I then normalize these concentrations against the inlet concentration.

Shouldn't these too normalized graphs be the same (assuming nothing else happens [other changes in temperature and pressure] - and both cases are describing the same system under the same conditions)?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sounds reasonable to me.

Related to Is Normalizing Oxygen Concentrations in a Channel Accurate?

What is "partial pressure"?

Partial pressure refers to the pressure exerted by a single component of a gas mixture. It is the hypothetical pressure that the component would exert if it were the only gas present in the same volume.

Why is it important to calculate partial pressures?

Calculating partial pressures allows us to understand the behavior and properties of gas mixtures. It is particularly useful in determining gas solubility, diffusion rates, and gas exchange in biological systems.

How do you calculate partial pressures?

Partial pressures can be calculated by multiplying the total pressure of the gas mixture by the mole fraction of the component gas. The mole fraction is the ratio of the number of moles of the component gas to the total number of moles in the mixture.

What is Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures?

Dalton's Law states that the total pressure of a gas mixture is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each component gas. This means that the total pressure is the combined effect of all the gases present in the mixture.

What factors affect partial pressures in a gas mixture?

The partial pressures in a gas mixture are affected by the total pressure, the mole fraction of each component gas, and the temperature. Changes in any of these factors can alter the partial pressures and subsequently the behavior of the gas mixture.