Is Nitrogen in the Atmosphere Really in the Gas Phase?

• Thread starter turin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phase
In summary: The Clausius-Clapeyron relationship gives the entire phase boundary for any substance, but it is determined experimentally.
turin
Homework Helper
I have just discovered that the critical temperature of (fluid) nitrogen is about 125 K. Since the nitrogen in the atmosphere is (I assume) at about 300 K (well above the critical temperature), does this mean that the nitrogen in the atmosphere isn't really in the gas phase, but rather in the superfluid phase?

Physics news on Phys.org
At normal pressures, nitrogen (as you may have noticed when you breath) is a gas at 300 K. Only at very high pressures will it behave strangely.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks. I'm still a little confused, though. What is the meaning of "critical temperature?" I used to think that it was the temperature above which a fluid is either or neither a gas or a liquid, just a fluid.

I believe critical temprature is the temperature above which a gas cannot become liquid, whatever pressure you apply to it. I hope I'm right.

Cheers.

salamander,
Do you have a definition for "critical pressure?"

I'm quite sure critical pressure is the pressure it takes to liqudize a gas at a certain temperature. It can also be seen as the pressure at which a liquid will vaporize at a given temperature...
I think that's it, but just don't listen to me if you're about to conduct some experimentation that might be hazardus to yourself, the general public or property if the procedures that you plan to withtake depend on the information I gave you above. There, just putting that in for the legal record :biggrin:

Cheers.

salamander said:
I'm quite sure critical pressure is the pressure it takes to liqudize a gas at a certain temperature. It can also be seen as the pressure at which a liquid will vaporize at a given temperature...

I thought the critical point, whether thought of in terms of pressure or temperature, is the point at which there is no way to distinguish between a liquid or gas phase of a substance. Solids and liquids do not have this point due to the crystalline nature of solids and the lack thereof in liquids, thus making them distinguishable from one another. I would look in a thermodynamics website/textbook for more info.

Note the basis of LCD (liquid crystal displays) could be considered an exception to the solid/liquid phase differences.

quarkman said:
I thought the critical point, whether thought of in terms of pressure or temperature, is the point at which there is no way to distinguish between a liquid or gas phase of a substance.
That is correct. HERE is water's phase diagram. edit: still looking for a decent one for nitrogen.

Last edited:
Doesn't the Clausius-Clapeyron relationship give the entire phase boundary for any substance? Is the critical point determined experimentally or can you determine it from this relation? I had a difficult time working with this relation in my undergraduate thermo course.

Related to Is Nitrogen in the Atmosphere Really in the Gas Phase?

1. What is the critical temperature?

The critical temperature is the temperature at which a substance transitions from one phase to another, such as from a liquid to a gas.

2. How is the critical temperature determined?

The critical temperature is determined through experimentation and observation of a substance's behavior under changing temperature and pressure conditions.

3. What is the relationship between critical temperature and critical pressure?

The critical temperature and critical pressure are both properties that describe a substance's ability to transition from one phase to another. They are directly related, as the critical temperature increases, so does the critical pressure.

4. Can the critical temperature be influenced by external factors?

Yes, the critical temperature can be affected by external factors such as impurities, pressure, and the presence of other substances. It is important to control these factors in order to accurately determine the critical temperature of a substance.

5. Why is the critical temperature important in scientific research?

The critical temperature is important in scientific research because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of different substances. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of industrial processes and equipment that involve phase transitions.