Is MySQL a programming language for databases?

In summary, MySQL is a database engine commonly used with internet-based applications, particularly with PHP. SQL is a standardized querying language used by various database management software, including MySQL. PHP is a programming language used for making websites, and it can be used in conjunction with a database such as MySQL. This is a common setup for larger websites, where a program written in a language like PHP interacts with a database to serve data to users visiting the site.
scout6686
I'm confused about whether MySQL is an actual language you program in or whether it is just an environment or IDE.

Or is PHP what you write in Mysql or can you write any language in MySQL. Can someone explain this to me? please let me know if I haven't explained my question clearly enough.

Technology news on Phys.org
MySQL is a database engine that works primarily with internet based applications when talking about its relationship with PHP.

SQL is a standardized querying language for databases and is used across the spectrum of database management software suits (like MySQL).

SQL = Structured Querying Language

MySQL, Microsoft SQL, PostgreSQL, and many other database management programs use SQL as the query language. When you want to use a database, you can pick one that's appropriate for your needs. Some of them are free, some aren't, and some of them have different features etc.

PHP is a programming language for making web sites, and you may use an SQL database with it, in which case you use the PHP SQL library for the functions you need to make SQL queries.

To put it in a bigger perspective. For any significant website on the internet, you generally have a program written in PHP, or Python, or Java, sitting on a server with a database of some sort (could be SQL) attached for storage and when a person visits the site, the program serves up pages with data from the database to the person's browser.

Related to Is MySQL a programming language for databases?

1. Is MySQL a programming language or a database management system?

MySQL is a database management system, not a programming language. However, it does use a programming language called SQL (Structured Query Language) for querying and managing databases.

2. Can I write code in MySQL and create programs?

No, MySQL is not a programming language, so you cannot write code or create programs in it. It is used to manage and manipulate data in databases.

3. Is MySQL similar to other programming languages like Java or Python?

No, MySQL is very different from other programming languages like Java or Python. It is a specialized language designed for managing databases and does not have the same capabilities as general-purpose programming languages.

4. Can I use MySQL for web development?

Yes, MySQL is commonly used in web development for storing and retrieving data from databases. It is often paired with languages like PHP or Python for creating dynamic web applications.

5. Do I need to know SQL to use MySQL?

Yes, SQL is the language used by MySQL for querying and managing databases. You will need to have a basic understanding of SQL to use MySQL effectively.