Is my use of ##e_x## in my solution for Fluids Angular Momentum correct?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a figure and a solution provided by the speaker. The speaker is unsure about a part of their solution and asks for help in understanding it. Another person suggests a different approach to solving the problem and the speaker eventually figures it out.
member 428835
I don't typically do this, but attached is a figure with a problem statement. This is not homework because I have already solved it! My question is a subtle one.
Please see the attachments, one is the question and the other is my solution.

I know my solution is correct, but at the end of equation (2) I wrote ##n = e_x## where ##e_x## is the unit vector in the ##x## direction. At the time I am not sure why I wrote ##e_x## this way, because I now think it should be ##\cos \theta e_x + \sin \theta e_y##. Any help here would be awesome in understanding why what I had was correct.

Thanks so much.

Attachments

• solution.png
    solution.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 546
  • problem.png
    problem.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 639
Likes Bibleman
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not going to try to follow your intricate algebra, but I will suggest an easier way. Take moments about the sprinkler's axis and apply conservation of angular momentum. What is the tangential velocity of the jet in the ground frame?

Tangential velocity is ##-r \omega + Q \cos \theta / 3 A##.

I think I know how to solve the problem assuming velocity out of the sprinkler pipe is constant (or rather averaged), but I want to make sure I can do it both ways (the way you mention above and using integrals).

Thanks for the reply

Likes Bibleman
Never mind, I figured it out. For others, in case they want to know, I'll attach the solution.

Attachments

• hw4.pdf
    111.6 KB · Views: 243
Likes Bibleman

Related to Is my use of ##e_x## in my solution for Fluids Angular Momentum correct?

1. What is angular momentum in fluids?

Angular momentum in fluids is a measure of the rotational motion of a fluid. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation of the fluid.

2. How is angular momentum conserved in fluids?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant. In other words, the sum of the angular momentum of all the particles in the fluid will remain the same unless acted upon by an external torque.

3. How does the shape of an object affect its angular momentum in a fluid?

The shape of an object can affect its angular momentum in a fluid in two ways: the distribution of mass and the distribution of surface area. An object with a larger mass and a larger surface area will have a greater angular momentum in a fluid compared to an object with the same mass but a smaller surface area.

4. What is the relationship between angular momentum and rotational velocity in fluids?

The angular momentum of a fluid is directly proportional to its rotational velocity. This means that as the rotational velocity increases, so does the angular momentum of the fluid.

5. How is angular momentum important in fluid dynamics?

Angular momentum is an important concept in fluid dynamics as it helps us understand the rotational motion of fluids. It is used to analyze the behavior of rotating fluids such as hurricanes and tornadoes, as well as in the design of turbines and other fluid machinery.