Is my Req correct? (very simple electronics question)

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronics
In summary, Req (equivalent resistance) is not the same as resistance value. It is the combination of multiple resistances in a circuit and will always be lower than the lowest resistance value. To calculate Req, you need to know the individual resistance values and use different formulas for series and parallel circuits. Knowing Req is important for understanding the overall resistance of a circuit and calculating current and voltage using Ohm's Law. There is a difference in how Req is calculated in series and parallel circuits.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
I just need to find the Req of the circuit. Everything is attached. Ignore the fact there's no R4.

Is it correct?

Attachments

• circuitsb2.jpg
    circuitsb2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 395
Physics news on Phys.org
Your symbolic calculations are correct, yes. You have, however, added 100 Ohm too much in R1,2.

Ah, thank you for catching my thoughtless error :) unless anyone makes another reply I'm going to assume other than that it's all correct

Related to Is my Req correct? (very simple electronics question)

1. Is my Req value the same as my resistance value?

No, Req stands for equivalent resistance and is a combination of multiple resistances in a circuit. The value of Req will always be lower than the lowest resistance value in the circuit.

2. How do I calculate Req?

To calculate Req, you need to know the individual resistance values in the circuit. If the resistances are in series, simply add them together. If they are in parallel, you can use the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistance values.

3. Can Req ever be higher than the highest resistance value in the circuit?

No, Req will always be lower than the lowest resistance value in the circuit. This is because resistors in parallel offer less resistance compared to resistors in series.

4. Why is Req important to know in a circuit?

Req is important because it helps us understand the overall resistance of a circuit. It also helps us calculate the current and voltage in the circuit using Ohm's Law (V=IR).

5. Is there a difference between Req in series and Req in parallel?

Yes, there is a difference in how Req is calculated in series and parallel circuits. In series, Req is the sum of individual resistances, while in parallel, it is calculated using the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistance values.