Is my proof valid for this inequality problem?

In summary, if you want to use your existing setup, consider setting ##x : =a^\frac{1}{n}## and ##y : =b^\frac{1}{n}##. Now you know that ##0\lt a \lt b##. You have two cases to consider-- suppose ##x \lt y## what happens when you use your results about raising to the nth power? You also need to consider the other side of the coin: what happens if ##y \leq x##? Assuming this
r0bHadz

Homework Statement

Prove: if 0<a<b then a^(1/n) < b^(1/n)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already proved a^n < b^n in another problem. So I have

Assume a^n < b^n => [itex]\sqrt[n^2] a^n < \sqrt[n^2] b^n [/itex] => a^(1/n) < b^(1/n)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really see a proof here? How do you know you're allowed to take the ##n^2## root while preserving the inequality?

What about dividing both sides by ##a## or (##a^\frac{1}{n}##) and using the fact that nth roots are non-negative? I.e. comparing ##1 \lt \frac{b}{a}##

Then you have something greater than one vs one. Should be easier to work with.

edit: my suggestion would be ##c:=\frac{b}{a}## where ##1 \lt c## but assume for a contradiction that you have ##c^\frac{1}{n} \leq 1## and see what happens

edit 2: if you want to use your existing setup, consider setting ##x : =a^\frac{1}{n}## and ##y : =b^\frac{1}{n}##. Now you know that ##0\lt a \lt b##. You have two cases to consider-- suppose ##x \lt y## what happens when you use your results about raising to the nth power? You also need to consider the other side of the coin: what happens if ##y \leq x##? One case is consistent with desired outcome, but that isn't enough... you need to show that the 'opposite' case raises a contradiction and hence can't be true.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and SammyS
r0bHadz said:
I've already proved a^n < b^n in another problem.

What exactly did you prove? That if ##0 < a < b## then ##a^n < b^n##? For what ##n##? Just positive integers? Did you prove the converse, that ##a^n < b^n \implies a < b##? I'm guessing not, since that's what you're trying to prove here (in effect).

But then I don't understand your first step. How can you take the n-th root of both sides and then just declare it's true, since that's what you're trying to prove?

Personally, I might appeal to use of a logarithm, first establishing that the log function (with any base) is monotonically strictly increasing.

Maybe you can also use the fact that ##x^{1/n}## is differentiable to see when it is increasing.

r0bHadz said:

Homework Statement

Prove: if 0<a<b then a^(1/n) < b^(1/n)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already proved a^n < b^n in another problem. So I have

Assume a^n < b^n => [itex]\sqrt[n^2] a^n < \sqrt[n^2] b^n [/itex] => a^(1/n) < b^(1/n)

As others have pointed out, your use of a ##\sqrt[n^2]{\cdot}## inequality is really just the use of a ##(\cdot)^{1/n^2}## inequality, which is what you are trying to prove.

If I were doing it I would look for a proof by contradiction, using all the results available so far.

How about proving a more general lemma:

If ##f## from A onto B is strictly monotone increasing then its inverse, ##f^{-1}## from B onto A exists and is strictly monotone increasing.

jbriggs444 said:
How about proving a more general lemma:

If ##f## from A onto B is strictly monotone increasing then its inverse, ##f^{-1}## from B onto A exists and is strictly monotone increasing.

A proof by contradiction seems easier to me.

Anyways, guys I'm confused when it comes to writing proofs.

So in a previous proof I showed that, if a<b then a^n < b^n for positive n>1

I want to start this proof off as follows:

If 0<a<b, we know a^n < b^n from previous results

we also know a<a^n for n>1**

I put stars because it seems to me like I am just making an assumption there. Would the proof be valid if I said:

we also know a<a^n for n>1 because any number x times more than 1 of itself will always be bigger than x

or do I need to prove that as well?

r0bHadz said:
If 0<a<b, we know a^n < b^n from previous results
we also know a<a^n for n>1**
This conclusion is not true in general. If 0 < a < 1, then a > an for n > 1. For example, if a = 1/2, a2 = 1/4

However, if a > 1, then it is true that ##a < a^n##.

Likes r0bHadz
Mark44 said:
This conclusion is not true in general. If 0 < a < 1, then a > an for n > 1. For example, if a = 1/2, a2 = 1/4

However, if a > 1, then it is true that ##a < a^n##.
I see. Do I have to prove the case of a<a^n for a>1, a=1, and for a>a^n for 1>a>0? or can I just state "assuming this is true" so I don't have to prove everything

r0bHadz said:
I see. Do I have to prove the case of a<a^n for a>1, a=1, and for a>a^n for 1>a>0? or can I just state "assuming this is true" so I don't have to prove everything
No, I don't think that stating "assuming this is true" will fly. You are given only that 0 < a < b, so you can't come along and assume that a is somehow also larger than 1. Depending on how you go about doing your proof, you might have to make a couple of cases: one for the interval (0, 1] and another for the interval (1, ∞).

Likes r0bHadz
r0bHadz said:
I don't see where/how you would need this. It seems all you need, if I understood correctly is whether a>b => a^k>b^k.

WWGD said:
I don't see where/how you would need this. It seems all you need, if I understood correctly is whether a>b => a^k>b^k.
hmm it seems you are right. It looks like there are a lot of ways to do this proof and I was getting too caught up in finding which is the easiest but it seems like proof by contradiction is the easiest way? Does my following proof look correct?:

I am asked to prove: if 0<a<b then a^(1/n) < b^(1/n)

I am proving by contradiction so my proposition: if 0<a<b then a(1/n) ≥b(1/n)

Let a= x^n, b=y^n

we have x^n < y^n from the proposition

Since I have proved if a<b => a^n < b^n in a previous result, I know the converse a^n < b^n => a<b is true

so from x^n < y^n => x < y

since x = a^(1/n) and y = b^(1/n), there is a contradiction

Last edited:

Related to Is my proof valid for this inequality problem?

1. What is the process for determining if my proof is valid for an inequality problem?

The process for determining if a proof is valid for an inequality problem involves carefully examining the logic and steps used in the proof. It is important to ensure that the proof follows the rules of mathematical reasoning and that all assumptions and claims are supported by evidence.

2. How do I know if my proof is rigorous enough for an inequality problem?

A rigorous proof for an inequality problem should provide clear and logical reasoning for every step, with no gaps or assumptions. It should also be able to withstand potential counterexamples and provide evidence for why the inequality is true.

3. Can I use examples to support my proof for an inequality problem?

Examples can be useful in illustrating the validity of a proof for an inequality problem, but they should not be the main evidence. A proof should be based on mathematical reasoning and logic, rather than specific examples.

4. How can I improve my proof for an inequality problem?

To improve a proof for an inequality problem, it is important to carefully review each step and ensure that it follows the rules of mathematical reasoning. You can also seek feedback from peers or a mentor, and consider alternative approaches to the problem.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving an inequality problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving an inequality problem include making assumptions without evidence, using circular reasoning, and not clearly stating the logic behind each step. It is also important to check for any errors in calculations or logical reasoning.