Is my proof of this inequality correct?

In summary, to prove the theorem that |a + b| ≤ |a| + |b|, we first attempt to prove that (|a + b|)2 ≤ (|a| + |b|)2. By expanding (|a + b|)2, we can see that a2 + b2 + 2ab ≤ (|a| + |b|)2. Simplifying further, we get ab ≤ |a||b|, which must be true. Therefore, taking the square root of both sides, we can conclude that |a + b| ≤ |a| + |b|.
Back2College

Homework Statement

Prove that |a + b| ≤ |a| + |b|.

Homework Equations

|a| = √a2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since |a| = √a2, then

|a + b| = √(a + b)2 = √(a2 + 2ab + b2) = √a2 + √b2 + √(2ab) = |a| + |b| + √(2ab).

And since the square root of a negative number is not defined, then 2ab must be ≥ 0.

This proves the theorem that |a + b| ≤ |a| + |b|.

Physics news on Phys.org
Back2College said:
√(a2 + 2ab + b2) = √a2 + √b2 + √(2ab)
Alas, this step is incorrect. To see that this is the case, try ##a=b=1##.

Instead of working with square roots, may I suggest trying to prove this inequality:
$$(|a+b|)^2 \leq (|a|+|b|)^2$$
Then argue that this inequality implies the one you want.

Thanks, jbunniii, for the hint. As you can see, my algebra is a bit rusty. This is what I came up with after your hint.

To prove that |a + b| ≤ |a| + |b|, we will first attempt to prove that (|a + b|)2 ≤ (|a| + |b|)2.

Since (|a + b|)2 is equal to (a + b)2, we have

a2 + b2 + 2ab ≤ (|a| + |b|)2.

This gives us

a2 + b2 + 2ab ≤ a2 + b2 + 2|a||b|

which reduces to

ab ≤ |a||b|

which must be true.

Thus we can take the square root of both sides of the original equation to prove the theorem that |a + b| ≤ |a| + |b|.

Related to Is my proof of this inequality correct?

1. How do I know if my proof of an inequality is correct?

To determine the correctness of your proof, you should carefully check each step of your reasoning and make sure that it follows logical and mathematical principles. Another helpful approach is to ask a colleague or mentor to review your proof and provide feedback or suggestions for improvement.

2. What should I do if I find an error in my proof of an inequality?

If you discover an error in your proof, don't panic. Take a step back and retrace your thought process to identify where the mistake occurred. Then, make the necessary corrections and rework the proof to ensure its validity. It's also a good idea to get a second opinion from someone else to confirm the accuracy of your revised proof.

3. Can I use examples or counterexamples to support my proof of an inequality?

Yes, providing examples or counterexamples can be a useful way to illustrate your reasoning and strengthen your proof. However, be sure to also include a formal mathematical argument to support your claims, as relying solely on examples may not be sufficient to prove an inequality.

4. Is it necessary to show all the steps in my proof of an inequality?

In most cases, yes. It's important to clearly and logically present all the steps in your proof to demonstrate the validity of your reasoning. However, if you are working on a particularly complex or lengthy proof, it may be acceptable to skip some intermediate steps as long as you clearly explain the reasoning behind your decisions.

5. What should I do if I'm unsure about the validity of my proof of an inequality?

If you have doubts about the correctness of your proof, it's always better to err on the side of caution and seek feedback from others. This could include consulting with a colleague or mentor, posting your proof on a forum for discussion, or seeking guidance from a more experienced mathematician. Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification to ensure the accuracy of your proof.