Is My Monitor Causing These Minor Issues with My Computer?

• Thread starter proton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Monitor
In summary, the speaker has noticed three minor issues with their computer while surfing the internet - occasional screen freezes, screen distortion when visiting certain webpages, and rare instances of the screen becoming completely unreadable. These issues can be easily fixed by revisiting the page or restarting the monitor. The speaker suspects it may be a problem with the monitor or video card, but suggests updating drivers and checking for adware before replacing any hardware.
proton
I've noticed 3 things: that about 3 times/day (I use the computer for about 4 hrs/day, rough estimate), as I'm surfin the net, the screen just freezes for a second and then the page I'm viewing gets messed up. Like for example, when I'm reading a paragraph on a website, it gets erased or appears twice. But this isn't much of an issue because if I just revisit the page, it looks normal again.
Another issue, which happens rarely, is that all of a sudden the screen gets all messed up - I can't see the webpages, windows, mouse arrow, nothing. This is also easily taken care of. I just turn off and then back on the monitor.
I've also noticed that when I try to visit webpages that have a dark or black background, the monitor can't show anything, unless I hit ctrl+alt+del, where I just have to restore down the window, and then I can see everything.
These are all minor issues, but do I have to start worrying that my monitor or video card or something else has problems. BTW, I have a 17" samsung syncmaster 171v monitor

Computer science news on Phys.org
proton said:
I've noticed 3 things: that about 3 times/day (I use the computer for about 4 hrs/day, rough estimate), as I'm surfin the net, the screen just freezes for a second and then the page I'm viewing gets messed up. Like for example, when I'm reading a paragraph on a website, it gets erased or appears twice. But this isn't much of an issue because if I just revisit the page, it looks normal again.
Another issue, which happens rarely, is that all of a sudden the screen gets all messed up - I can't see the webpages, windows, mouse arrow, nothing. This is also easily taken care of. I just turn off and then back on the monitor.
I've also noticed that when I try to visit webpages that have a dark or black background, the monitor can't show anything, unless I hit ctrl+alt+del, where I just have to restore down the window, and then I can see everything.
These are all minor issues, but do I have to start worrying that my monitor or video card or something else has problems. BTW, I have a 17" samsung syncmaster 171v monitor

This is just a shot in the dark, but you tried changing resolutions? At first it sounded like your video card is at fault because I had an old Matrox Millenium that sometimes acted like yours. Being able to temporarily fix it by switching off the monitor makes me think that it could be a driver issue. Worse case scenario... the monitor is dying.

The first thing i would do is make sure the video card drivers are up to date. Do you have another LCD monitor to test?

well the problem was a little worse a few weeks ago, when I had a larger resolution. my video card drivers are up to date. So my monitor must be the problem

With one exception, what you are describing doesn't sound like a monitor problem. A monitor doesn't store any information, so it can't do things like what you describe. The problem that occurs when "the screen gets all messed up" (not very descriptive...) must be.

Windows (and video card drivers) often have bugs where they draw things incorrectly - especially in IE. But they can also be messed up by programs. Try running AdAware to make sure you don't have any adware messing up your operations. Also make sure Windows is up to date - go to www.windowsupdate.com .

Windows drivers are unlikely the source of your problem. I would reinstall the monitor drivers that came with your monitor or download a clean copy from the Samsung website. If that doesn't help, it might pay to replace the vid card.

Related to Is My Monitor Causing These Minor Issues with My Computer?

1. Why is my monitor displaying a blank screen?

There could be several reasons for a blank screen on your monitor. It could be due to a loose cable connection, a faulty monitor, or a computer setting issue. Try checking the cable connections and adjusting your computer's display settings. If the issue persists, it may be a hardware issue that requires professional assistance.

2. Why is my monitor flickering?

Flickering on a monitor can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a damaged cable, outdated graphics driver, or a malfunctioning monitor. Try replacing the cable and updating your graphics driver. If the issue persists, it may be a hardware issue that needs to be addressed by a professional.

3. How can I fix distorted images or colors on my monitor?

Distorted images or colors on a monitor can be caused by a faulty graphics card, loose cable connection, or incorrect display settings. Check the cable connections and try adjusting the display settings on your computer. If the issue persists, it may be a hardware issue that requires professional repair.

4. Why is my monitor not turning on?

If your monitor is not turning on, make sure that it is properly plugged in and that the power outlet is functioning. If the monitor is still not turning on, it could be due to a faulty power supply, damaged cables, or a malfunctioning monitor. Contact a professional for assistance if the issue persists.

5. How do I calibrate my monitor?

To calibrate your monitor, you can use built-in calibration tools or third-party software. These tools will guide you through adjusting the brightness, contrast, and color settings on your monitor to ensure accurate and consistent display. It is recommended to calibrate your monitor regularly to maintain optimal performance.