Is my electronic textbook incorrect?

In summary, there was a discussion about whether multiplying by 100% or 100 would result in the same number when calculating percentage yield. It was agreed that the textbook was correct in using 100% to convert a decimal to a percentage, as the percent sign should be treated as a unit. However, there was some confusion about the notation and it was noted that using 100% could lead to ambiguity.
Qube
Gold Member
Is it just me, but if you multiply anything by 100% you'll end up with the same number?

I believe the authors meant to write 100, not 100%.

This is from 5 steps to a 5 AP Chem.
[PLAIN]http://i.min.us/icDcjc.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:
Is it just me, but if you multiply anything by 100% you'll end up with the same number?

I believe the authors meant to write 100, not 100%.

Welcome Qube to PF Forums!

Yes you are correct. The fraction will always be less than 1 because actual yield will never exceed theoretical yield. If it does, this is good chance an error was made either in the experiment or calculations. So to express as a percentage you multiply by 100 (not 100%). Textbooks can have errors in them, they are usually fixed by the 2nd or 3rd printing.

Now that I think about it, I believe I am in error.

Suppose the actual yield was 50g, and the theoretical yield was 100g.

50% = (50/100) * 100%

50% = .5 * 1

50% = .5

I still wonder why they left the 100% in though ...

And multiplying .5 by 100 as I proposed would yield 50. 50 does not equal 50%, but the left side of the equation clearly states "% yield."

[PLAIN]http://i.min.us/icDcjc.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Qube,

The textbook looks fine to me.

Think of the percent sign as a unit. If I want to convert .5 to percent, multiplying by 100 will only give me 50, which only means that I multiplied .5 by 100. If you want to convert .5 to a percentage, multiply .5 by 100% and you'll get 50% which is the desired result.

Qube said:
And multiplying .5 by 100 as I proposed would yield 50. 50 does not equal 50%, but the left side of the equation clearly states "% yield."

Exactly what I'm thinking. The left side of the equation says % yield, which means you'll need a percentage sign on the right side.

gb7nash said:
If I want to convert .5 to percent, multiplying by 100 will only give me 50,
Actually you get 50% because it is given you are calculating % yield.

I have seen both notations, multiplying by "100" and "100%." but I find the later
to be ambiguous. A valid interpretation (as qube noted) 100% = 1, but multiplying
by one does not give you the correct answer as a percentage.

Related to Is my electronic textbook incorrect?

1. Is it common for electronic textbooks to contain errors?

Yes, it is not uncommon for electronic textbooks to contain errors. With the vast amount of information being compiled and updated constantly, it is possible for mistakes to occur during the digital publishing process.

2. How can I be sure if my electronic textbook is incorrect?

You can cross-reference the information in your electronic textbook with reputable sources, such as academic journals or textbooks. You can also reach out to your instructor or fellow classmates for clarification.

3. Who is responsible for correcting errors in electronic textbooks?

The responsibility for correcting errors in electronic textbooks falls on the publisher or author of the textbook. In some cases, there may be a designated editor or fact-checker responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the information.

4. Can I report an error in my electronic textbook?

Yes, if you have found an error in your electronic textbook, you can report it to the publisher or author. Many publishers have a designated email or form for reporting errors, and they often appreciate feedback from readers to improve the accuracy of their content.

5. Will using an incorrect electronic textbook affect my grades or learning?

It is possible that using an incorrect electronic textbook could affect your grades or learning. It is important to double-check the information and seek clarification from your instructor if you are unsure of the accuracy of the content in your textbook.