Is my DIY laser rangefinder design eye safe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for help in calculating the eye safety of a 905 nm diode laser system being built for a scanning laser rangefinder. The goal is to meet the ICE Class 1 standard, but since the design is open-source, the final approval would be based on the creator's own conscience rather than regulatory agencies.
gallamine
Hi all,

I'd like some help calculating laser eye safety for a 905 nm diode laser system I'm building. It's for a scanning laser rangefinder and I need to figure out if my current design (a TOF rangefinder) can be feasibly be made Class 1 eye safe. The eye safety calculations are a little tricky and I'd like some help.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
gallamine said:
Hi all,

I'd like some help calculating laser eye safety for a 905 nm diode laser system I'm building. It's for a scanning laser rangefinder and I need to figure out if my current design (a TOF rangefinder) can be feasibly be made Class 1 eye safe. The eye safety calculations are a little tricky and I'd like some help.
Thanks!

What standard covers this? What agency does the final approval? Is the final approval based on testing, or on submitting your design?

My end goal is an open-source open-hardware design, so there is no regulations other than my own conscience about putting out something dangerous.

My goal would be to meet the ICE Class 1 standard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety#Class_1"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is my DIY laser rangefinder design eye safe?

1. What is laser eye safety and why is it important?

Laser eye safety refers to the measures taken to ensure that laser beams used in various applications do not cause harm to the eye. This is important because laser beams can cause permanent damage to the retina and other structures of the eye if proper safety protocols are not followed.

2. How is laser eye safety calculated?

Laser eye safety is calculated using specific equations and guidelines provided by regulatory agencies, such as the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). These calculations take into account factors such as the laser's power, wavelength, and exposure time to determine the maximum permissible exposure (MPE) for the eye.

3. What are the potential risks of not following laser eye safety protocols?

The potential risks of not following laser eye safety protocols include temporary or permanent vision loss, eye irritation, burns, and even blindness. These risks can vary depending on the type of laser and the exposure levels. It's crucial to follow safety guidelines to prevent these risks.

4. Are there different safety regulations for different types of lasers?

Yes, there are different safety regulations for different types of lasers. The ANSI and IEC have established safety standards for various laser classes based on their potential hazards. For example, Class 1 and 2 lasers are considered eye-safe, while Class 3 and 4 lasers have specific safety requirements to prevent eye injuries.

5. What are some common safety measures for laser eye safety?

Common safety measures for laser eye safety include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), such as laser safety glasses or goggles, using laser safety barriers and enclosures, and following proper handling and operation procedures. It's also essential to conduct regular safety training and risk assessments to ensure a safe working environment.